What color is this Green? I need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I need help, I am stuck!! So my truck; a 1979 GMC Sierra Classic “Heavy Half”, has been messed with a fair bit.... Cab has been off and a whole new floor was put in at some point, as well as a cowl and roof skin. While everything was apart, they painted it a green that is not 100% correct. I do not have any RPO codes or cowl tags. They did not mess with a lot of the interior paint, it appears to be mostly original other than the door jambs, ‘A’ and ‘B’ pilars, as well as the inside of the roof. The greens don’t match quite right. It matches this truck...

http://www.autabuy.mx/details/?vid=66514745

Instead, I got this situation ... the cab and bed have had some incorrect paint.
You must be registered for see images attach

the front fenders I believe are the original color. I clearcoated the whole truck, so disregard the high gloss.

Inside of the door.

I am leaning towards paint code 43... but I’ve seen it called different names..

I’m just confused! The green has a slighthue of blue to it. The truck in the link kind of shows what I see on my dash and my front fenders. I’m about to repaint the doors after I replace them and want to repaint them so the actually match. I will also paint all of the other green parts after I repair her rust.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Its a pretty green for sure. DId you find your list from all available RPO colors of 1979?

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Its a pretty green for sure. DId you find your list from all available RPO colors of 1979?

That’s where I found Code “43” but I don’t know. I have had a heck of a time finding the same color truck as mine online and I finally found one that resembles my original painted areas very well. I just need some help. Seems like there are a lot of variances in green... some could also not be original paint of course..

I’ve also considered that it could be “Shamrock Green” which is also code 43 apparently. I’ve seen so many names for code 43 and I don’t have the slightest clue why.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I would think a website that can mix colors for you to specification would show you intended rather than end result after years in sun, or a body shop.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Here are better pictures. It is clearly metallic green with a hue of blue in it. Being ‘metallic’, I am thinking that this was a Shamrock green truck originally.

I am not a fan of straight up green personally (ironic...) but the blue green is a totally different game, I’m a total fan and would like to replicate it when I do the doors and body rot repair.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
A good auto paint place should have a gun type tool to scan the actual paint and tell you the composition. I was gunna do this for my 90 gmt400 because the red had and orange-ish look to it.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Its a very comprable green to my old 77 ford LTD. It was light jade green(official color) BUT had a pearlescent blue tinted overlay that was a factory option. Beautiful in 2019, I imagine it was even better without dings and wear and fade.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I guess I should jump into this thread...
IMO, your green is exactly like my 79. Which is code 43, Shamrock Green. Pictures have never really captured the true color of my truck, as pics always seem to make it more blue than it really is. My current phone however can capture it quite well.

If GMC used the same paint as Chevy did, and I don't see why they wouldn't, and your factory paint is metallic, it should be Shamrock Green, or whatever GMC may have called it. I have a pdf from GM Heritage Archives that has some repaint codes in it. I can try to find the codes, or even just email you the whole pdf. Hope this helps @79dentside

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Do you have some more interior pics showing the green paint and saddle interior? I have a green interior, and heaven forbid I ever have to change the color, I am thinking saddle as the parts are much more available.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
A good auto paint place should have a gun type tool to scan the actual paint and tell you the composition. I was gunna do this for my 90 gmt400 because the red had and orange-ish look to it.
He has the right of it. They set it on there and find the match. And will give you the generation / year it was used. That’s how I matched my color on my
Truck ( wasn’t a GM color when I got it )
And it is SPOT on

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I guess I should jump into this thread...
IMO, your green is exactly like my 79. Which is code 43, Shamrock Green. Pictures have never really captured the true color of my truck, as pics always seem to make it more blue than it really is. My current phone however can capture it quite well.

If GMC used the same paint as Chevy did, and I don't see why they wouldn't, and your factory paint is metallic, it should be Shamrock Green, or whatever GMC may have called it. I have a pdf from GM Heritage Archives that has some repaint codes in it. I can try to find the codes, or even just email you the whole pdf. Hope this helps @79dentside

See the metallic aspect is what pushes me towards shamrock green. I agree with you. It’s got a blue hue and I am a total fan. Thank you so much. I’m about to buy a set of used doors, so I can paint those and see how it matches up on a test car or something before I paint them. I really like automotivetouchup.com. They have great paint in my opinion, so I could always buy a rattle can of a couple green just to test and be sure.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Do you have some more interior pics showing the green paint and saddle interior? I have a green interior, and heaven forbid I ever have to change the color, I am thinking saddle as the parts are much more available.

The saddle color was all done by me... this is not factory. It was an all green interior originally with a tan vinyl seat (under the seat cover). It was an old farm truck and the interior got trashed on. I just took the opportunity to veer into a saddle color instead. Only ran me about $40 to do all that you see here:

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Just an update. I ordered paint code 43 from automotivetouchup.com and I think they nailed it. I believe this is my original color, matches fantastic.

Outside:

Under Dash:

It’s astounding how this color changes. Looks like this is my original color. Is 43 shamrock green?? It’s a metallic blue-green.

Thanks all!

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sure looks right to me. Viewing that color through pictures is very difficult and varied. Most of the pictures I have of my truck show it with more blueish hue than in reality. I need to check out that site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK