Welding/body work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Koolhof

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
My old 77 needs some stuff done....floor panels (got from LMC Truck) floor brace, bed wheel well stabilizer rods, etc. What's the consensus on rivet vs weld? I'm just getting the welding thing down and I don't really want a burn thru

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. Practice welding, buy some sheet metal from a weld shop or metal yard. Metal yard you can find some old stuff to practice on. Be sure to clean the surface before you start welding, dirty metal will give you porosity (air holes in the welds). Turn down the amperage and just do tacks every 4". If you run a straight bead you will heat the metal too much and it will warp. Watch some videos too.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Welcome! And definitely weld over riveting

John Snell

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
I’ve been trying to restore a rusty ‘68 Camaro, and have been using .025 hard wire and C20 gas. For things like a floor pan, you can position the piece and lock it down with some small self-tapping screws. Then tack welds galore. Set a tack, move a good distance and tack again. Keep doing that until you’ve got the piece welded in. You can remove the screws and fill the holes as you go. Prep and cleaning is extremely important. You really need to have clean, bare metal on those edges.

Took me awhile to get the hang of it without burning through. I used one of the old panels off the car to practice on before I tried anything serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Koolhof

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Some great advice! One thing seems evident...my little hobby welder isn't going to cut it. It's a beginner MIG with flux wire and no gas.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Prep and cleaning is extremely important. You really need to have clean, bare metal on those edges.

This ^^

I'm also learning to weld and learning on body panels. It cannot be stressed enough that what you're working on needs to be clean and bare, old paint, oils, rust, etc will make the job a PITA and result in poor welds.

Also, when working on body panels, just do the 1 sec spot weld and move on. Once you get the hang of it and the spot welds are good you'll have the urge to run longer beads, DON'T. Keep doing spots across the panel and then go back and fill in the gaps with more spots, this will prevent warping and blow through. The longer beads put a lot of heat in the panel and make blow through easy.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Preparation, patience and practice :)

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Some great advice! One thing seems evident...my little hobby welder isn't going to cut it. It's a beginner MIG with flux wire and no gas.

Actually cheap MIGs will do just fine. If you have a plastic hose on the back of the welder you can attach a small bottle of gas. 75/25 or something like that, I really don't remember the mix, maybe argon/co2. Get a regulator for the bottle and set it. you will have to reverse the polarity, which is easy.

This is if your welder is setup for it. I started with a cheapo brand which was a great starter welder for me.

What kind of welder do you have?

John Snell

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Mike, I have a Hobart 140 that works great on sheet metal. Used it to build a rotisserie for my Camaro, too. I got it on Amazon about 10 years ago for a hair under $500. Definitely in the lower end of the hobby range as far as power goes, but it’s done everything I ever asked it to do. And I’ve run quite a bit of wire through it.

Some of us just do what we can with what we got. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I'm looking for a used professional one for my next project. A friend of mine bought a broken one for nothing and had it repaired and serviced for around 700$. The difference is really huge and welding with this machine is way easier and makes better welds.
I did my K5 with a hobby welder and it worked, on some occasions a better welder would have made life easier.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Did all of the patch work (all Lower bedsides, inside bed, bed floor) on my 76 with the $100 Harbor Freight flux core welder. Biggest things I think is to be comfortable with your machine and to be confident (ABC's of welding- Always Be Comfortable). Don't be afraid to use some heat when tacking, that way you get good penetration and when you grind the weld down it retains its strength.
You must be registered for see images attach

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
For thin steel like body panels you can absolutely use flux core. It won't necessarily produce the cleanest looking welds but will get the job done just fine. Sheet metal is basically all that type of welder is for. You can do some thicker stuff with it, but hard to get good penetration, I wouldn't trust it for frame repair. For something like floors that aren't structural as long as it's not full of holes you're fine. For rockers and such, even if the bead doesn't come out super pretty you're going to have to grind them flush before paint anyway so don't worry too much. Just practice a lot on some scrap metal first till you feel confident. And as these guys already said be sure you're working with clean metal, dirty or rusty or painted metal will be no picnic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL