Weird wiper delay video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Got this crazy wiper delay shown in this video. At least I hope it shows up. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer with this stuff sometimes.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QVQqiux6qRdLTGPx9

A little backstory.
I have factory intermittent wipers with cruise.
Some parts of the cruise didn't work like resume and accel on original turn signal stalk and the stenciling was practically gone. Bought a new one from LMC.
Now all aspects of cruise, washers, slow and fast speed wipers and turn signals work great. All except the goofy operation of the delay wipers shown.
I have to assume its the crap Chinese stalk but wanting to try and get some confirmation. If so, thoughts on where to get a good one?????

Thanks in advance.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Do you have your original turn signal lever? Plug it in and see what happens, I’m guessing you have a wiper motor problem.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
I replaced the lever this summer. Not sure if I have the original still laying around. Ill have to check.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Little update here. I still have issues trying to post a video so hopefully you can open the link below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pka1HErbRCmVLP7u5

I got it fixed. I took the wiper pulse modulator apart and replaced five electrolytic caps on the board. Electrolytic caps can dry out over time and cause all sorts of weird issues.

The following pics show what I replaced.

This is the module in its normal form. I have the screwdriver showing where to pry to get it apart. You need to pry apart both sides a little bit and then it simply pulls apart.
You must be registered for see images attach

And it looks like this when you do.

This is showing the massive heat sink on this piece. I'm not sure if its because it gets so hot or because the under dash temps can be so hot. I'm thinking this little unit can get warm which ultimately leads to failure after so many heating cycles.

Over time the electrolyte in the capacitors dries out or can split the cap and start leaking all over everything. This is actually another factory module shown in the pic.

I have no idea how to draw cool little arrows to show what ones to replace.
I placed the caps I removed next to the factory module to show which ones I replaced.

End result is it was a successful fix. Keep in mind that I have electronics training and soldering skills. I know what I'm doing. As such it was easy but not everyone's cup of tea.

Be happy to answer any questions.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Little update here. I still have issues trying to post a video so hopefully you can open the link below.

I got it fixed. I took the wiper pulse modulator apart and replaced five electrolytic caps on the board. Electrolytic caps can dry out over time and cause all sorts of weird issues.

This is the module in its normal form. I have the screwdriver showing where to pry to get it apart. You need to pry apart both sides a little bit and then it simply pulls apart.

This is showing the massive heat sink on this piece. I'm not sure if its because it gets so hot or because the under dash temps can be so hot. I'm thinking this little unit can get warm which ultimately leads to failure after so many heating cycles.

Over time the electrolyte in the capacitors dries out or can split the cap and start leaking all over everything. This is actually another factory module shown in the pic.

I placed the caps I removed next to the factory module to show which ones I replaced.

End result is it was a successful fix. Keep in mind that I have electronics training and soldering skills. I know what I'm doing. As such it was easy but not everyone's cup of tea.

Fix mine lol

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..

I can solder the little LEDs onto a few boards for the gauges - also changed out all the stepper motors - successfully.

I think I will be able to replace some caps OK enuff ... right?

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
If you look at the power transistor - that's why the thermopaste (white gunk) is on it - and the heat sink makes contact with it to take the heat out of that transistor.

They run particularly hot and need all the help they can get.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128