Weird reverse light problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
First time poster. I am having an issue with my 1983 Sierra Classic. The reverse lights work normally when the headlights are off, but they stay on anytime the headlights are on? Any idea where to start troubleshooting.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. Maybe check the grounds in the back of the truck for the tail lamps.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
First time poster. I am having an issue with my 1983 Sierra Classic. The reverse lights work normally when the headlights are off, but they stay on anytime the headlights are on? Any idea where to start troubleshooting.

The lead to the parking/marker lights (BRN) is shorted to the lead for B/U lights (LT GRN).

Inspect the rear lighting harness. Make sure that it isn't pinched between the frame and body somewhere. Also, if any section of the harness is routed close to the exhaust system, check for signs of heat damage.

Johnny Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
The lead to the parking/marker lights (BRN) is shorted to the lead for B/U lights (LT GRN).

Inspect the rear lighting harness. Make sure that it isn't pinched between the frame and body somewhere. Also, if any section of the harness is routed close to the exhaust system, check for signs of heat damage.
This makes sense. I couldn’t think of a way this would happen.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If it was shorted this way wouldn’t all the running light come on when in reverse too???

Yes, that's correct. I didn't know if you had checked whether that was the case. For that to occur, the conditions have to be right.

With the H/L switch in off (i.e. not in the H/L's or parking lights position). Move the gear shifter to R.

If the BRN 9 and LT GRN 24 circuits are cross connected, the various lamps in the BRN 9 circuit should illuminate - as well as the BU lights.

To test that the cross connection is with the BRN 9 circuit (and has nothing to do with the H/L circuit), put shifter in P or N, observe no BU lights and then pull the H/L switch out to just the parking lights position.

If you get BU lights - along with parking, marker and plate lights. That would kind of confirm that the BRN 9 is the source.

Another test would be to pull the 20A fuse labeled T/L CTSY. That will eliminate power to the H/L switch for the BRN 9 circuit.

Last edited:

Johnny Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Yes, that's correct. I didn't know if you had checked whether that was the case. For that to occur, the conditions have to be right.

With the H/L switch in off (i.e. not in the H/L's or parking lights position). Move the gear shifter to R.

If the BRN 9 and LT GRN 24 circuits are cross connected, the various lamps in the BRN 9 circuit should illuminate - as well as the BU lights.

To test that the cross connection is with the BRN 9 circuit (and has nothing to do with the H/L circuit), put shifter in P or N, observe no BU lights and then pull the H/L switch out to just the parking lights position.

If you get BU lights - along with parking, marker and plate lights. That would kind of confirm that the BRN 9 is the source.

Another test would be to pull the 20A fuse labeled T/L CTSY. That will eliminate power to the H/L switch for the BRN 9 circuit.
Great. I’ll check that. This help is much appreciated.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The running lights do come on when put in reverse. So now i know the cause, just have to find the short.

Johnny Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I'll check those. I'll also check the trailer wiring my dad installed 20 years ago. ;)

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

Johnny Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Fixed. Something to do with the trailer lights. Unplugged the trailer adapter harness from the truck, problem went away. I was originally thinking it was a switch in the column or something, this thread saved me a LOT of time. Thank you!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave