Vin swap/cab swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Those of you in readerland who have repaired serious rust or collision damage with a different cab, what legal hoops are involved? At what point is the cab being repaired with sheet metal from another cab no longer the original cab?

Ever here the story of Abe’s grandfathers ax? Same question.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
My drivers training instructor told me nothing is illegal unless you get caught. Don’t get caught.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Some will argue removing the vin and swapping to a new cab is illegal but how is it any different than removing the vin tag to replace the metal it attaches to and then reattaching?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
As long as there is a good paperwork trail and documentation it can be legal with inspection from a police department. The issue, is that most do not want a police department issued vin number, and they do frown upon actual vin tag swap.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
In South Dakota you are supposed to have the police dept verify the numbers and such from the various components (frame, cab, etc.), and the documenting paperwork. I am not sure it they the issue a new serial number or what they do after that.

When I finish my cab swap, I will probably just license the truck according to the VIN on the cab (which I have a title for), and keep the papers for the rest of the truck just in case there is ever a question.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I know in here in California technically the title is based off the frame, not the body. CHP or DMV would have to verify it. More than likely, they would remove the original cab VIN and replace it with a California VIN tag that matches the frame.

I'm not sure how all the guys over the years with 2WD 50's & 60's model trucks that swapped in later 4WD model frames got away with it.

You must be registered for see images

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I wouldnt want to get the gubmint further involved in my vehicles. Swap away and dont say a thing. Chances of being caught are slim, also i assume you would get a bill of sale or some sort of ownership document to the donor cab just in case.

I know a guy who sells vin plates and titles only lol. He knows his worth.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What they don't know won't hurt them.

I don't know the story of Abe’s grandfathers ax?

It's hurting me, please tell it.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Don't ask this question on the internet; ask your state vehicle registration department. Every state is slightly different, so nobody can give you an accurate answer unless they live in your state.

In most states the paperwork documentation is not that complicated, so why take the risk of complications later on if someone finds its not documented? Falsification of vehicle registration information is relatively easy to prove if they want to charge you with anything.

Bruce

dhenderz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So here's an interesting question on this subject. I am facing the same situation (switching cabs). In my case I am swapping the original 1977 4WD cab for a 1979 2WD cab. The VIN tags are not in the same location. On the 77 its on the driver's B-pillar. On the 79 its in the more (now) traditional base of the windshield. And the tags aren't even close to the same size. The pillar mounted tag is quite large. Haven't decided what to do yet.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
What they don't know won't hurt them.

I don't know the story of Abe’s grandfathers ax?

It's hurting me, please tell it.

I've always heard it as George Washington's ax, but I think the premise is that the head isn't original and the handle has been replaced a few times, but it really is George Washington's ax.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The reason I started this thread is due to the dreaded tin worm on my grandfathers 81 GMC. It sat for MANY years after he died, it took along time for my grandmother to get to a state of mind to deal with his personal items. The deeper I dig into this, the worst the rust is. I have already bought a rust free bed, at least the tailgate will open and close without having to hold the bedsides in position. I’m really beginning to think a cab swap would be the way to go.i can’t imagine the labor to replace inner/outer rockers, floors, cab corners, body mounts, etc would be cheaper than a decent cab Not to mention, A/C would be a added bonus.

My opinion is basically the same as many replies. If I own both the truck the donor cab comes from, and the 81GMC, and have clean titles, who really cares if the truck is technically Frankenstein?

This subject is also the reason behind my ultra rare square body truck thread. I’m a Oldsmobile fanatic, I know the obvious and not so obvious things to look for when determining the authenticity of a 442, Hurst Olds, the Pace cars, and the W-30 cars. I can’t tell you how many “442” I have looked at that were originally born a Cutlass. Using a Cutlass to REPAIR a car is one thing, but using the vin and paperwork to pass off a plain car as something valuable just to screw someone really pisses me off!! I certainly wouldn’t want to cut up or dismantle something valuable or desirable to fix my truck.

I recall reading a article in a friends Pontiac club newsletter about the vin belonging to a members convertible GTO. His vin did in fact show the was the owner of a Ram Air III GTO....hardtop! This car was restored in the 80s, just as the muscle car collector hobby was just getting started. The car had passed thru several owners before the history had been discovered.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC