Vibration at 70mph+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SL87Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Hey all,

87 Silverado all stock. It vibrates alot once I hit 70mph and above. It does fine at lower speeds. What would cause this problem or is this normal for these trucks? What should I look for or what needs replacement?

You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
When was the last time you looked the tires over? Are they still in balance? Have any belts shifted to cause them to go out of round? (on close inspection, do any of the tread blocks look to be higher on one side than the other?) Do they show any signs of dry rot or weather checking in the tread valleys or on the side wall?

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Tires (condition/balance), wheel bearings, u-joints.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Wheel bearings would be more constant, and manifest at lower speed. U joints would typically show up under load or coast situation.

SL87Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks! I've only had it since March so I'll check the balance first. Tires are in good condition.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
If you have had the tires and wheels and u-joints checked already try flipping the driveshaft 180 degrees to the yoke on the rear axle and see if it changes anything. One other thing to do is check the front rotors and see if they have any crud up in the vent holes on the rotor, and likewise weight he rear drums and verify they are close to the same weight (and if you can find someone to check their balance they may be an issue as well. One other option is they might be out of round and that applies to the front brake rotors as well. They might be warped from excessive braking.

Merlin3e9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.7L
Did this problem get better? Ever figure out what the vibration was? My 87 R10 vibrates from 60-65. Had the tires rotated and balanced, but it didn't go away. Tire shop thinks the tires have flat spots from sitting. I'm disappointed because the tires still have a lot of tread left.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Is the vibration there in park, with the engine turning at the speed it would be at 70? If so, you can rule out driveline issues. You could try “reclocking” the converter in the flex plate. There are 3 possible positions, maybe a different one would help. Is the vibration there at steady speeds? Does it go away, or get worse depending on throttle position and engine load? Make sure the exhaust isn’t touching something,and trans mount is in good condition.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Did this problem get better? Ever figure out what the vibration was? My 87 R10 vibrates from 60-65. Had the tires rotated and balanced, but it didn't go away. Tire shop thinks the tires have flat spots from sitting. I'm disappointed because the tires still have a lot of tread left.

Usually the flat spots can be seen when they try and balance the tires
Tire shop if they handled the tires,
should know (not think ) if they are flat

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
If you have a flat spot, you can have the tires trued back round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1