Very odd transmission issue on a GMC C2500/350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NGH14

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Camper Special
Engine Size
350 5.7 L
Hello all, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out this problem before I have to go digging in the transmission.

I left my GMC parked and sit for a couple of days over last weekend, when I went to start it up on Wednesday morning, it had a rough time trying to start, almost like something was grabbing in the transmission even though I didn't feel anything. It started up, ran for about a total of 5 seconds, quit, and a then a very distinct smell appeared. It didn't smell like clutch or light weight oil, but some kind of fluid was burning.

After I finally got it to start and run without an issue, the smell stayed, but wasn't strong like before. So I took it for a drive around the block a few times and noticed the clutch barely had any resistance in it anymore. It still can shift without an issue, but just out of no where it decided to lose it's resistance.

I'm wondering if this could be the slave cylinder full of air, or going out? And if the smell is coming from the transmission or not. I'm honestly stumped without pulling the transmission and taking a look, because everything was solid before I parked it over the weekend and I see no fluid coming from underneath.

If anybody can give me an idea as to why this might be happening I would very much appreciate it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sad this went unanswered here. 86 views and noone even told the guy to go *** hisself. :shrug: We must be turning into just another one of those forums. :Nonono:

Not much sense in responding to it now. I"m sure he's got it worked out by now. I'd be suspecting a Slave cylinder going out and likely getting some fluid saturation on the clutch disk.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yea sounds like you lost pressure somewhere. I've found over the years that when a trans is low on fluid or pressure the engine runs real ruff at start up.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd be curious to find out what it was. I doubt he'll be back after being ignored for over 2 months. Can't say I'd blame him though. :shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28