Vacuum Modulator replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken Beck

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15
Engine Size
I had a nice surprise when I replaced my vacuum modulator (TH350) a couple of days ago due to late shifts........I dumped a couple of quarts of ATF on my driveway and myself.
I can only assume I have a stuck modulator valve. Can anyone second that motion? Never had to replace one but read on older threads that there is a fix by very lightly sanding it and re-installing?
PLEASE don't ask me to rebuild the tranny as at this point my license plate should read "MNY PIT" as my wife says.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
just buy a new one, they're super cheap.

out of curiousity, is your driveway a steep incline/decline?

Ken Beck

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15
Engine Size
The point was no ATF should have come out. Slight decline.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Fluid can leak out the modulator bore. But unless it was overfilled, or you had the front of the truck on car stands, it shouldn’t be very much.

The modulator is about 20 bucks at Autozone. The part they sell is adjustable, you can raise or lower shift points a couple mph by turning the screw inside the vacuum nipple.

Ken Beck

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15
Engine Size
I was replacing the modulator ($12 adjustable from Jeg's) when the leak took place. It may have been 1/2 quart overfull but not enough to leak that much. Now that that is over with, I still have the late shift issue. Changing fluid and filter this weekend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400