Upgrading Your Blower Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
'Afternoon fellas.

This morning I went through the process of upgrading the blower in my '79 C20 standard cab long bed. I's been below 0 here for two weeks now (central Indiana) and the heater in my truck struggled to keep the cabin at a passable temperature on long interstate drives to and from Purdue (West Lafayette, IND).

I saw a couple of threads on another chevy forum (links below) about upgrading the blower motor to a mid-90s extended cab blower, but I hadn't seen anybody document their upgrade, so I want to do that for you now. These other sites have mixed reviews about the effectiveness of this upgrade. My stock motor may have been a little shot, I don't know, but after this upgrade the heater in my truck blows twice as hard as it did before. It's absolutely incredible.

Here's those links I talked about.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=468297

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=166446

And here's how to do it.

Go to the store and get a blower motor for the following pickup. I went to Auto Zone and it was like $25.

1994 Chevy K2500HD Ext. Cab 4x4 5.7L

Pull the old blower out of the truck (in the engine compartment, extreme passenger side. 5 bolts and a wire come off to get it out) After getting the blowers out remove the squirrel cages by taking off the single retaining nut and pulling it off the shaft. You might have to gently heat the plastic to get it off of the shaft. I used a propane torch at a responsible distance.

They will look like this side by side (old on the left and new on the right).

You must be registered for see images attach

You have to put the old squirrel cage on the new motor in order to fit into the stock shroud. The new blower is longer (as seen above) and will hit on the intake of the shroud against the firewall. Thankfully the shafts are the same size and the bolt pattern is exactly the same between the motors. Unfortunately, you have to slightly modify the old squirrel cage to fit further down on the new shaft in order to get the clearance needed. As seen above, the new motor sticks farther out into the shroud than the old one, so the squirrel cage has to be pushed back.

First, remove the clip on the new shaft that holds the squirrel cage up further on the shaft. This should just slide off.

Then, find a drill bit that's the same size as the shaft major diameter. The old squirrel cage will only slide on as far as the ground section of the shaft extends, which is not far enough. To make up this extra 1/8 inch or so, you have to drill out a bit of the old squirrel cage. Be very VERY careful doing this! If you drill too far, the squirrel cage will not engage the shaft and you will need to get a new one.

Before drilling:

You must be registered for see images

After drilling:

I drilled down about an eighth of an inch. If you're really paranoid, try it in smaller increments and test fit into the shroud until it no longer hits the back of the shroud.

After this, just slide the old squirrel cage on to the new shaft. Some unthreaded shaft will be left sticking out the top. Just use the old washer trick to cover this distance and tighten back down with the new retaining nut as shown below.

When bolting it back in, the power wire will be at approximately the 12 o'clock position instead of the factory ~3 o'clock position. Otherwise, it bolts straight up. Looks like this.

And that's it! I turned it on for the first time and even without the engine running it blew like crazy. We will see how it performs once it gets down to -30 again.

Hope someone finds this helpful in these cold months. Happy modding!

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
'Afternoon fellas.

This morning I went through the process of upgrading the blower in my '79 C20 standard cab long bed. I's been below 0 here for two weeks now (central Indiana) and the heater in my truck struggled to keep the cabin at a passable temperature on long interstate drives to and from Purdue (West Lafayette, IND).

I saw a couple of threads on another chevy forum (links below) about upgrading the blower motor to a mid-90s extended cab blower, but I hadn't seen anybody document their upgrade, so I want to do that for you now. These other sites have mixed reviews about the effectiveness of this upgrade. My stock motor may have been a little shot, I don't know, but after this upgrade the heater in my truck blows twice as hard as it did before. It's absolutely incredible.

Here's those links I talked about.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=468297

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=166446

And here's how to do it.

Go to the store and get a blower motor for the following pickup. I went to Auto Zone and it was like $25.

1994 Chevy K2500HD Ext. Cab 4x4 5.7L

Pull the old blower out of the truck (in the engine compartment, extreme passenger side. 5 bolts and a wire come off to get it out) After getting the blowers out remove the squirrel cages by taking off the single retaining nut and pulling it off the shaft. You might have to gently heat the plastic to get it off of the shaft. I used a propane torch at a responsible distance.

They will look like this side by side (old on the left and new on the right).

You have to put the old squirrel cage on the new motor in order to fit into the stock shroud. The new blower is longer (as seen above) and will hit on the intake of the shroud against the firewall. Thankfully the shafts are the same size and the bolt pattern is exactly the same between the motors. Unfortunately, you have to slightly modify the old squirrel cage to fit further down on the new shaft in order to get the clearance needed. As seen above, the new motor sticks farther out into the shroud than the old one, so the squirrel cage has to be pushed back.

First, remove the clip on the new shaft that holds the squirrel cage up further on the shaft. This should just slide off.

Then, find a drill bit that's the same size as the shaft major diameter. The old squirrel cage will only slide on as far as the ground section of the shaft extends, which is not far enough. To make up this extra 1/8 inch or so, you have to drill out a bit of the old squirrel cage. Be very VERY careful doing this! If you drill too far, the squirrel cage will not engage the shaft and you will need to get a new one.

Before drilling:

After drilling:

I drilled down about an eighth of an inch. If you're really paranoid, try it in smaller increments and test fit into the shroud until it no longer hits the back of the shroud.

After this, just slide the old squirrel cage on to the new shaft. Some unthreaded shaft will be left sticking out the top. Just use the old washer trick to cover this distance and tighten back down with the new retaining nut as shown below.

When bolting it back in, the power wire will be at approximately the 12 o'clock position instead of the factory ~3 o'clock position. Otherwise, it bolts straight up. Looks like this.

And that's it! I turned it on for the first time and even without the engine running it blew like crazy. We will see how it performs once it gets down to -30 again.

Hope someone finds this helpful in these cold months. Happy modding!
Probably blew some crap out of the vents too. Good job in the mod and write up.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yes, great job! I don't know if some of the photos didn't make the cut, but some of them just say "IMG."

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Glad you posted this ive seen one about it but didn' know what truck to get it from. Going to bookmark it!

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That is a pretty good write up. If we are missing pictures though it may get even better once those are fixed!

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
nice job. im pretty sure ill be doing this mod.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'm going to go fix those IMG errors. That was me trying to link the pictures from Imgur (and failing). They're just the same pictures you see. If you want more pics of anything let me know and I can snap some.

In the future I want to retrofit a cabin air filter too. I drive in dusty conditions when I go out west to tow paragliders and I want to limit the infiltration of dust as much as possible, as the seat in the cab is custom and new as of 2014.

I'm glad some of you all are finding this useful!

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Cabin filter will go good with this mod. On my square I do not think I need a stronger blower unless a cabin filter is retrofitted.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thread Moved to Interior > Heat & AC

So for anyone who bookmarked it today, refresh your bookmark cuz your current one will be dead now.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
To sum this up, it's use a blower out of any GMT400 Series truck to the best of my knowledge, so that should be 88-98 Body style truck.

The other known GMT400 upgrade for our trucks is the smaller high torque starter off of a 96 or newer 350. Might even be 95 and up, but I know for sure the SFI Vortec 350 got the smaller high torque starter. Not only for the torque but I like the smaller starter better. It's lighter, not near as close to the headers or exhaust manifolds getting baked.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Okay, so this is gonna be done today....thanks for the great info !

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you live or drive through a Southwest desert in the summer, this could be great also. When it is 120F outside, it really sucks to have great cooling at the vent and no way to get the cool air to your body.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Turns out that after buying the "larger" blower fan as per the instructions.....My 87 silverado already has the exact same fan as the later model 2500 silverado. There is no need to buy a fan for the 2500. The fan with the correct sized squirrel cage fan is in a 1987 silverado. If you want to upgrade to the correct fan and NOT have to remove the squirrel cage to the larger motor, just ask for a blower fan for a 1987 silverado.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg