UPDATE! Need expert opinions on 86 or 87

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rambiss

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Hi to all. I've owned several square bodies in the past, but not for 20 years or so. Well, I just NEED to have a Blazer to work on and enjoy. Having said that, I've found two Blazer's that I'm interested in and they are both pretty much the same as far as body, interior, no rust, etc. The 86 has a carbed engine and likely a lot of the "computer" and smog stuff removed. The 87 is TBI and has most of the smog stuff still on it. What are your EXPERT opinions around the 86 or 87?

I would think you'd need to know a little about my plans for it, in order to give a good opinion. I want something to enjoy and drive (somewhat) while I fix it up. I want to bring the interior up to a pretty high standard, to include A/C system. Both have factory A/C. I'll likely go for more HP, as I have lots of SBC goodies from my racing years. Yes, I'll probably stick with SBC, it's just what I know. I'm really not sure if I should want the TBI or not, that's probably the biggest question I'm asking for help on.

Thanks, Randy

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hi to all. I've owned several square bodies in the past, but not for 20 years or so. Well, I just NEED to have a Blazer to work on and enjoy. Having said that, I've found two Blazer's that I'm interested in and they are both pretty much the same as far as body, interior, no rust, etc. The 86 has a carbed engine and likely a lot of the "computer" and smog stuff removed. The 87 is TBI and has most of the smog stuff still on it. What are your EXPERT opinions around the 86 or 87?

I would think you'd need to know a little about my plans for it, in order to give a good opinion. I want something to enjoy and drive (somewhat) while I fix it up. I want to bring the interior up to a pretty high standard, to include A/C system. Both have factory A/C. I'll likely go for more HP, as I have lots of SBC goodies from my racing years. Yes, I'll probably stick with SBC, it's just what I know. I'm really not sure if I should want the TBI or not, that's probably the biggest question I'm asking for help on.

Thanks, Randy
I have an 87 swb with tbi and 350 factory. I like having fuel injection and I just drive the truck. Nothing crazy, get in turn the key and go.
If you plan on hot rodding and have many sbc performance parts I think the easy option is the 86.
Good luck.

Rambiss

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Even thought I tried to give all info, I think I forgot one very important plan. I will likely go to an aftermarket fuel injection at some point..............I just don't know enough about the TBI computers to know if it's better to start with a TBI or Non TBI truck for that.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size

Thanks, Randy
the main thing I have noticed with the TBI is a stiff throttle pedal,both of the 87's I have owned seem to have that issue,

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
the main thing I have noticed with the TBI is a stiff throttle pedal,both of the 87's I have owned seem to have that issue,
I can confirm.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Even thought I tried to give all info, I think I forgot one very important plan. I will likely go to an aftermarket fuel injection at some point..............I just don't know enough about the TBI computers to know if it's better to start with a TBI or Non TBI truck for that.
Again, I'd go 86 if you plan to replace the TBI with aftermarket FI. Also note the TBI intake is on 2 barrel not 4 like a standard quadrajet.

Rambiss

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Thanks for the opinions, after I realized the 87 truck was a CA truck.............just too much smog crap for me to deal with. Going to pick up the 86 on Friday!

Rambiss

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Welp, decided on the 86. I really need to clean things up, but for $5K, I thought it was a good deal! It's on the trailer because it was 3 hours from me. It runs, although it needs some love.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc