Ultra rare collectible square body trucks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
This is the first of several threads I will start on this subject. Anyone with The slightest interest in anything automotive, and with a pulse, is most likely aware of how rare/desirable cars like the 71 Plymouth Hemi Cuda, ZL1 or Z-28 Camaro, LS-6 Chevelle, W-30 442, etc, were there ever trucks that fit the same criteria? Just curious

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
This is the first of several threads I will start on this subject. Anyone with The slightest interest in anything automotive, and with a pulse, is most likely aware of how rare/desirable cars like the 71 Plymouth Hemi Cuda, ZL1 or Z-28 Camaro, LS-6 Chevelle, W-30 442, etc, were there ever trucks that fit the same criteria? Just curious
Dodge had piles of special trucks. I’m not sure any are really that rare though. I do know when you’ve got Don Knotts representing for you, you’ve reached the top.
You must be registered for see images attach

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
People will say there is no such thing as a rare Squarebody and I say while that may be true there are rare options. A thread yesterday about the NP833 tranny optioned trucks comes to mind. In Eastern NC I've never seen a crew cab square or a long bed stepper. My K10 is the only NP833 optioned rig I've ever laid eyes on. Hell, here a rust free Squarebody is a rare thing in itself.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I know the 3/4 ton truck is not a rare breed, but I know my particular truck is rare nowadays because it is a numbers matching truck with minimal molestation done to it.

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
I know the 3/4 ton truck is not a rare breed, but I know my particular truck is rare nowadays because it is a numbers matching truck with minimal molestation done to it.
Rare and getting rarer! (I'm not sure if that's actually a word.)

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I know of the Dodge Lil Red Express trucks. Chevy also had a pace truck for the 500 in the early 90s if I remember. Maybe there are others? As far as options, I would think of a option or trim package is rare, that means either expensive, or undesirable.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Those cars you mentioned were performance oriented limited availability models targeted at a specific buyer. Depending on the buyer, or your ability to sell, the rare sticker / paint package trucks like that dodge up above are rare in the sense that they look a little different, not generally any major differences or performance gains to warrant a collector price.

A few of the squares you might want to look into are:
Beau James
Gentleman Jim
Pace Trucks
Spirit of 76
Desert Fox
Sarge
Blazer Chalet

Also any Choo Choo customs trucks are a rare sight anymore.

Problem with this might be finding the resto parts to make em right again

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
The cars you listed, are both rare, and desirable.

So with that said, most trucks are not both rare and desirable. Mainly because they were mass produced, and most people lump them all together anyway. And most don't have truly special engines or parts. Mostly they are trim packages.

So i agree with Crispy's list above me, and I'd add the Big 10 because you could get a 1/2 ton shortbed with a factory big block.

I know a guy with a Pacer "Limited". It has leather, a V8, power everything, and is pretty rare. It's in top notch condition, excellent, unrestored, all original. It's worth about 5k, tops, eventually. Because you have to find someone who wants one. Much easier with a ZL1 Camaro.

For me, I just want a solid truck. I'll do what I want for the drivetrain.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Somewhere on this site, exists a thread discussing all the special package trucks. It's worth a look if you aren't familiar with most of them.

81Bart

Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 LWB
Engine Size
People will say there is no such thing as a rare Squarebody and I say while that may be true there are rare options. A thread yesterday about the NP833 tranny optioned trucks comes to mind. In Eastern NC I've never seen a crew cab square or a long bed stepper. My K10 is the only NP833 optioned rig I've ever laid eyes on. Hell, here a rust free Squarebody is a rare thing in itself.

I have one of those trans in my truck. Never knew they were a thing until I saw the one in mine. There isn't anything else special about my truck. It's a custom deluxe with a 305 and 2.73 rear end. I've seen a few long bed step sides for sale, almost bought one years ago.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
................................As far as options, I would think of a option or trim package is rare, that means either expensive, or undesirable.

Like that fully optioned truck that @Hotrod posted the other day?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
One of the facts that we need to keep in mind is that these are trucks. Not like trucks today that are glorified SUVs, but they were utility vehicles mostly marketed to people and businesses who needed a vehicle to do work. Aside from some marketing and trim packages these things were ordered à La Carte. You ordered a cab and chassis and everything else was optional. You want bumpers? That's extra. Spare tire? Extra. Want a mount for the spare? There's a code for that. Bed? You'll have to pick that too.

Even if you got a Silverado package it was carpets, moldings and trim. Power windows? Extra. Power locks? Needed to spec them too. Didn't include air conditioning either.

So in their own way, they are each unique. Depending on the shape they're in, their greater value is probably in being minimally molested and having better options. But desirability does not equal collectability. I doubt you'll ever see Barrett-Jackson doing a big dollar "barn-find" auction, or a major magazine doing a cover story about a rare Squarebody.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84