Ultimate Rust Proofing Thoughts...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

496 BB

Reaction score
First Name
Yo
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
SBC
Like the title states what would be your ideas as far as ultimate protection goes for a plowing truck. I am starting this project once it gets warmer out but am compiling info as I go now. My ideas and build are as follows....

Galvanize frame with paint finish
Some other rust proofing on rest of suspension (no powdercoat more than likely)
6" suspension lift and current 3" body lift with shackles and springs out back with bags
Underbody rhino lined or something else (chime in plz)
Bumpers (inside) lined with something as well
Rockers (inside) rust proofed at Ziebart or something (ideas?)
Bc/Cc paint

Truck is in good shape now with very very little surface rust. Rockers are the worst with only paint bubbling. I plow snow obviously and bought this truck 4 or so years ago. Its made me some cash and now its time to return the favor. I had a 79 back in the day and always said if I got another square I wont be the guy to let it go to hell. Well Im going down that path so its getting the ultimate treatment. I want it around for my son who is only 2.5 now so you get the point. Im a perfectionist so it will and has to be dead mint. It may take a year but oh well. I will be doing everything myself where its possible.

So what are some ideas you guys have about under body and helping paint clear? Does adding more coats of clear help? Obviously I will be washing it off after every storm but when its -20* thats a lost cause sometimes. Ill admit Ive been lazy with cleaning this past year and half so got noone to blame except me. Next time around I wont be though.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Look into POR15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacknife

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-25
Engine Size
Por 15, or Chasis saver are both good products, but follow the directions exactly. Several other brands of simular product but I have little or no experence with.
Be carefull with the DIY bed liners many of them will break down when in contact with certain chemicals such as gas, diesel,etc.
Some of the spray on bed liners are not very heat resistant either. Around exhaust & especally contverters.
Do plenty of research before spending.

496 BB

Reaction score
First Name
Yo
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
SBC
Yea I wont be doing the liner stuff myself. It would be sprayed if I go that route. POR15 is ok stuff. Ive used it before but this would be over fresh metal. Not rusty as its intended for. Good thinking on the heat resistance. Will have to check into that.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I use KBS instead of POR, but thats because I like their color options so otherwise its 6 1/2 really. You can lighlty spray the bare metal with water and let it sit over night. There should be enough micro-pitting for the paint to bite.

I also recommend Line-X. It is a very durable coating that goes on thick, and you can get extras with it too like an over-coat and colored tinting. Something to think about.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Sand Blast and POR 15 !!! Nothing else comes close. NOTHING!!! lol

496 BB

Reaction score
First Name
Yo
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
SBC
Frame is getting galvanized. This is for underside of cab/bed and wells. Thinking the line x route. Will need a nice epoxy sealer coat under though that prevents moisture for being trapped. Will call them.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hot damn do I love that show. Probably the only good piece of television that exists.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Probably my all-time favorite and hardly anyone knows it exists.

Bubbles:How high are you right now Ricky

Ricky: I don't know about 40%

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Jacknife

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-25
Engine Size
Frame is getting galvanized. This is for underside of cab/bed and wells. Thinking the line x route. Will need a nice epoxy sealer coat under though that prevents moisture for being trapped. Will call them.

What are you expecting it to cost to get your frame Galvanized? And Where at?

496 BB

Reaction score
First Name
Yo
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
SBC
PLace in Canton. Have heard its around $350. Have not confirmed but have heard several different people advise on this price.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Canton, Massachusetts?

496 BB

Reaction score
First Name
Yo
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
SBC
Ohio. Looks like I may try the Marion one as well since its closer and they have kettles that will fit it. Most have a minimum price based on weight so bringing other things to fill that up as well. Maybe custom bumpers and hitch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tetz73