Ugh!!!!!! Clear Coat Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
How do I fix this? I applied three coats of clear coat last Thursday (May 20th) allowing it to dry between coats as per instructions on can. The temp was around 81 degrees with humidity at 75%. I have allowed it to cure for 5 days. I do not have the liberty of a climate controlled paint booth. It was not applied in direct sunlight and the truck is kept under a carport so always shaded. I live in Virginia and since applying the clear coat the temps went up to 90 degrees and humid. Currently the temp is 66 degrees and humidity at 79%. The high today is supposed to be 80 with 64% humidity.
So I would like to know what I need to do to correct this - heat, air flow (fan), leave it alone, strip it off and start all over (not what I really want to hear :( ). Also, should I be more concerned about heat or humidity when applying clear coat.

Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
You could wet sand then buff out with rubbing compound. I would start with 1000 Grit finish up with 1500 then buff. I'd try that first.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Sorry, should have put in there I wet sanded with 1500 grit and the clear coat. Looks like it is being removed.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
What is it doing, I can't tell by the pic.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Part of it is white and hazy

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
I'm pretty sure that is from the high humidity but I don't know if there is a way to correct it. Sorry I can't offer any help.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Variable speed buffer with wool pad and compound will bring it back. I hit mine and it shined right up after looking hazed.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Thanks for all the tips. I am only having problems with this one area. I sanded, prepped, primed, applied base coat and clear coat successfully to 4 other small areas and one larger area and I even painted the part of the dash that will be exposed below the dash pad, glove box and ashtray doors. They all turned out great! The paint and clear coat on that part of the hood has been curing for 4 days. I wet sanded with 1500 grit and there was no galling or balling of paint or clear coat.

It has bugged the ever living s**t out of me for past 2 days and the more I looked at it, the madder I got. So, right or wrong, out of desperation, I used 400 grit and wet sanded back down to almost primer. Wiped it clean, sprayed with Sprayway to degrease and followed that up with an alcohol wipe. Waited 15 minutes to make sure the alcohol was burned off then I then re-coated with base. This is what it looks like now without the clear coat. I will let it cure until Saturday when it is supposed to be in the 60s.

I do want to get a wool buffing pad though. Shopping trip tomorrow!!! :party36:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Is this rattlecan clear coat, or real spray gun DYI paint job type of deal?

I have never had luck with rattlecan clear coat, always comes out whiteish ever since I was 12 years old and tried to spray paint my bicycle all the way up until I'm in my 30s and I still have no luck making car parts shiny.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
It is rattlecan. Bought from automotive touch up. This is the only problem I have had with this product.

sirweesarunch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Its called blushing . Humidity gets trapped between coats and then cannot escape. I dont know what finish you are using but laquer can be fixed by spraying straight thinner or retarder over it to let it escape. Other types of spray gun finishes have slow thinners or retarders for this issue. Spray cans are notorious for this because part of their appeal is “ quick dry “ exacerbating the problem. The only remedy here if you’re going to spray can it is to control the environment .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Just an update, I waited for the "perfect" day and tried again. And AGAIN, the blush set in. I tried spraying it with Naphtha and let that dry off. No help. I wiped it down and tried a heat gun on low setting and 6 inches away. it IMMEDIATELY when white!!! WTF!!!!!! So......I AGAIN took it down to bare metal and filler in places. Cleaned, cleaned, cleaned and sprayed with base AGAIN. 2 coats AGAIN!!! Called the company and had a long conversation with them. I honestly think that there is something wrong with this can of clear coat. This is the second can of clear coat and have only used it on this one spot. The other spots I used a different can (front same company). So they are sending me a 2K which apparently is not as finicky about the temp and humidity. I will probably wait until later in year when I know the humidity is lower. Just a little gun shy and tired of taking this down and bringing back to color.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sounds like you’ve determined it’s a bad batch or bad product ? Post up the brand and type for others.
I’ve never used rattle can clear coat so not familiar with the stuff, sorry can’t offer any suggestions

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
It is rattlecan. Bought from automotive touch up. This is the only problem I have had with this product.

I used their product on my last truck and had no issues in the 4 years I had it. Last year I painted the dash in my K30 and all was fine for about 6 months, then the clear cracked like old lacquer paint. Back to to square 1...

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Sounds like you’ve determined it’s a bad batch or bad product ? Post up the brand and type for others.
I’ve never used rattle can clear coat so not familiar with the stuff, sorry can’t offer any suggestions

I have repainted my base - 2 coats. NO problems - looks great!!! The first can of clear coat worked great. I honestly believe that the 2nd can of clear coat was the problem, for what ever reason. The have been very nice, called me about the problem, walked me through all the do and don'ts. When I did it with the right temp and humidity, it still was a problem. They are very customer service oriented and are shipping to me, at not cost, a 2K clear coat that is not as finicky. There was genuine concern about the issue so not going to bad mouth them at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k