U Bolt Torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Italianwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Got my new rear leaf springs installed. My deep socket is bottomed out as the u bolt is long and I can’t get it on the nut. Any ideas on how to torque down the u bolts, wit these long u bolts?

Thanks

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Got my new rear leaf springs installed. My deep socket is bottomed out as the u bolt is long and I can’t get it on the nut. Any ideas on how to torque down the u bolts, wit these long u bolts?

Thanks
put a second nut on past a good portion of the threads, cut it with a bolt cutter, and then run the bolt back off after filing the sharp edge, then continue

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Or grind. Grinder can work too. Bolt cutters and a file, cut off wheel and a grinder. Hack saw and patience. And a file. A pair of scissors and a lot of swearing. Possibly numerous scissors. Whats the hardness of the u bolt? Lol. Find scissors of harder-ness. A cut off wheel could do all 4 nice and quick or a nice bolt cutter but be sure to use it appropiately. i may use the HF bolt cutter enthusiasticly but a large u bolt section would prob kill it if i went to town all rushing like

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Like AG said, cut the bolts down. No need for extra length unless you bought “future” bolts for lift blocks or bigger spring packs.
Presume you can’t get on it with a box wrench if you don’t want to cut them?

Italianwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks for the good ideas! I’ll try one this weekend!

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Italianwagon,

Also to, there is a such of thing as a "box end torque wrench", that obviously has a box end wrench end on the end of the torque wrench. It works the same as a torque wrench that takes a socket. One of the auto parts places might have one of those. I wish I knew how to cut and paste because I'd show you a picture of one. You might go on line and type in the name I gave and look at one. We used them on the aircraft I worked on because you couldn't always use a socket to torque a bolt.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Italianwagon,

There are some box end wrenches I found on the Sears site described as "9 pc. 3/8" drive Inch Torque Adapter Set" that will fit on the head of a regular torque wrench that will help you get onto the U bolt nuts without running out on your socket. These are 3/8" drive but you know they have to have 1/2" drives to. Or at least with this knowledge you can look for 1/2" drive wrenches.

Italianwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Put a second nut and it them off. Worked perfect. Thanks for the tips!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969