TV cable replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

talltidefan

Reaction score
First Name
Butch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Silverado
Engine Size
86 k5 700r4 TV cable has apparently stretched, I have 5 wire ties at end of cable at the carb and is really close to shifting correctly. When I replaced motor the intake had different distance between bracket and carb. I tried to replace cable,but can't get to it very good to make sure it's unhooked and hooked back properly. Any suggestions would be Awesome! I think I will order new bracket for Eldelbrock carburetor so the "geometry" will be corrected as well. This higher output motor may just be to much, and I may need to add a shift improvement kit, or something. It holds all gears really well once it gets in them. Thanks for the help, in advace.

Talltidefan

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You’re likely better off than no cable, but I’d be very cautious about running it with the cable not right. If you have to go anywhere, baby it, but if you can avoid driving it until it’s fixed, do that.

The trick, I found, is you either need to get a helper to pull on the carburetor end to hold tension on the little hook in the transmission while you bolt it down. If you’re like me and have no help, you’ll have to wrap the cable around the bellhousing and pull down with one hand while you’re laying on the ground and using your other hand to bolt the transmission end down. It’s tricky to do this way, and it’ll probably take several tries and a lot of swearing, but it’s doable. Once that’s done, and you’re able to tug on the carb end and feel the tension, you can feed the cable housing up to the carb.

If you don’t have a Rochester setup, you absolutely need the geometry correction kit for your carb, be it Edelbrock or Holley.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If all else fails, drop the pan. Then you can manually push the TV plunger into the valve body, that will allow the linkage to go up outside the transmission case. Of course, once you drop the pan, you might as well install a shift kit.

You may try to spiral a small spring between the lead “blopper” and the end link of the tv cable. The idea is to allow the spring to coil bind at WOT, but still have a little tension during normal driving. Don’t screw around with the TV cable, it needs to be tight enough to allow firm up shifts at any throttle position. It doesn’t take long to do some serious damage to the trans without enough line pressure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat