tv cable for 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chmurphy

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I've read a lot of the tv cable and wanted to make sure mine was set right, however it doesn't ratchet like all the things I've read, instead (with the button pressed in) the tv cable moves back and fourth freely. I just found that when I depress the button, I can pull the sleeve out with my other hand. Without it ratcheting I don't know if it can self adjust.

Is this normal on some configurations? Shifting seems aggressive 2000-2500 rpm, so the shifts definitely aren't stacked.

Also, would tv cable effect gear change into reverse and drive? this thing jerks when column shifting into reverse or drive. Transmission has been tinkered with I'm pretty sure, as the shifting linkage was way loose when I got this thing, I'm not sure if this loosens up over 30 years.

Thanks in advance

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Occasionally you get a cable that either won’t rachet, or some replacement cables aren’t designed to rachet.

With the engine off (obviously) mechanically hold the throttle wide open. Make sure the carb throttle is also open all the way. Sometimes the floor mats, linkage flex, cables stretched, etc will prevent the carb from opening all the way at WOT. Once all that is verified, push/pull the lock tab, and push the cable outer casing back. Release the lock. Basically you want the TV cable travel to max out at WOT.

Since the transmission bangs into gear, it sounds like either the idle is too high, or the cable is too tight. The trans should engage with a smooth solid thud. A clunk or jerking sensation is usually caused by worn driveline parts or engine mounts, or high line pressure or elevated idle speed.

Take it for a test drive, you may need to adjust the cable a click or 2 either direction to get a decent shift. When in doubt, a slightly later/firmer shift is preferable to a soft/early shift. The harder/later shifts are just physically uncomfortable. The slip/sliding shifts are mentally annoying, and eventually result in major financial discomfort!!!

chmurphy

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
ok did as you said and hit the button, opened the throttle via carb linkage, pushed the casing back

You must be registered for see images attach

and released the lock.

Weather says its 41 degrees here and park and neutral idle is 900-1000 rpm while revers and drive is at 600-700 rpm. Is that normal?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
That’s a pretty big drop in idle speed, no wonder it bangs into gear. I bet something is screwed up with the distributor or tune up.