Turn signal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ashadow1

Reaction score
First Name
Shadow
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have a 77 C20 p/u.
With my headlights off, when I step on my brakes my dash lights come on. When I turn my left blinker on they all flash. With my headlights on, my left blinker doesn't work.
The right blinker works fine with headlights on or off.

Attachments

• 3497.jpeg
    3497.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 33

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Check the ground from instrument cluster to cab, should be attached just around the emergency brake housing. Then check the grounds in the rear taillights make sure they are grounded to bed inside the housing, and good and rust free. If that is not it I would suspect individual sockets bad possibly and you can easily test each with a test light.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
How about some history? Did I just start doing this one day? Did someone work on wiring for a trailer lights? Did you buy it this way?

After checking ground like mentioned above, if that does not fix the problem, check for single filament bulbs in dual filament sockets. Does your truck have the factory grounds from battery to engine, from battery to fender or radiator support, from back of engine to firewall?

ashadow1

Reaction score
First Name
Shadow
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The truck was bought new in 77 by my wife's grandfather, The blinkers did this one time since we had it and it fixed it self. I'm hoping for just a ground, will check when I get off work. Yesterday I removed the trailer plug and trailer brakes hoping that would fix it, no luck

ashadow1

Reaction score
First Name
Shadow
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The grounds are factory and all look good by eye. The truck is all original and has never been altered

dboydb

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
CK20
Engine Size
Sounds like a ground is bad somewhere. Maybe look at the right tail light. Inspect the filaments in the bulb too.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@ashadow1,
Yeah, all those checks sound good but that doesn't explain why his instrument lights blink when @ashadow1 steps on the brake? Wait a minute, I must have read that wrong or something. Okay, I read it again, they blink when he turns the left signal on.
Okay, all those wires in the turn signal switch go to the lights front and rear. There are two wires in the turn signal switch that go to the fuse panel. One is to feed the turn signal flasher, and one other wire in the turn signal switch that goes to the fuse panel, goes to the hazard flasher. The only other wire that goes to a part other than the lights is #28 wire, black, and it goes from the horn button to one side of the horn relay.
There are no wires going to the instrument lights from the turn signal switch.
The only time they get power is when you activate the turn lever and the switch directs power to whichever turn light through the relay at the fuse panel. The instrument lights turn on from the headlight switch. More than likely you may have a problem in the headlight switch. But why your dash lights blink? I couldn't tell you due to those two systems aren't connected. You've got some wires crossed up somewhere under the dash. You'll have to crawl under there and camp out until you see where the problem is coming from. And more than likely you'll have to take the steering wheel off to get to the turn signal switch.

dboydb

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
CK20
Engine Size
The reason I suggested to check the elements in the bulbs is because I actually had a brake and turn element break and fall onto the tail light element and weld itself there. This can make the instrument lights blink when the signal is turned on.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@dboydb,
Really??! Man, that's weird! What was happening? The two elements together was causing somekind of a short when you turned the headlights on?? And it caused them to blink?? That's even more weird!

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
I have a 77 C20 p/u.
With my headlights off, when I step on my brakes my dash lights come on. When I turn my left blinker on they all flash. With my headlights on, my left blinker doesn't work.
The right blinker works fine with headlights on or off.
Bad ground.

dboydb

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
CK20
Engine Size
@dboydb,
Really??! Man, that's weird! What was happening? The two elements together was causing somekind of a short when you turned the headlights on?? And it caused them to blink?? That's even more weird!
Power from the turn signal circuit back fed the park light circuit.

ashadow1

Reaction score
First Name
Shadow
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok, sorry I'm taking so long to get back. I have been nit picking this little by little once a week. I replaced the head light switch and tried a new turn signal switch. I eleminated a lot of other things as well. I have it narrowed down to something under the truck from the transmission area.

Rustisbest

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had a similar issue and if there's any rust or corrosion between the bed and frame you won't get a good ground for the lights. Unless it was just my truck there was no ground cable from the frame to bed from the factory. A braided ground cable at the rear fixed mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes