Turbo 35 C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick Smith

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverardo
Engine Size
Hello, can someone tell me how this trans knows when to shift? is it the computer?

Thanks

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
TH350c doesn't use a computer

It's governor speed that makes it shift

You fine tune swing weights and spring pressures to set your shift points.

Rick Smith

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverardo
Engine Size
Hello, there's two locations where a harness is plugged in do you know what they are for?

Thanks

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
One is for torque converter lockup

It's a 12v input, controlled by a vacuum solenoid I assume.
When cruising in 4th, once it sees "x" engine vacuum it completes the circuit and locks up the converter

Drops the rpms about 3-400 and makes the transmission like a "straight thru" deal.

I assume the other one is at the tailshaft, correct ?

You said "there's two locations where a harness is plugged in"
So I assume you're referring to the 4 or 2 pun connector on the side of the case for converter lockup, and the second "plug" at the tailshaft housing that's for the speedometer cable...
Unless it's a 4x4 transmission with a transfer case, then it might have a reverse switch plug at the transfer case....?

What is this we're working on

Last edited:

Rick Smith

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverardo
Engine Size
It’s a 86 short bed that I am putting a create motor in . I have to figure out how the trans harness gets hooked up.

Thanks

Rick Smith

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverardo
Engine Size
There’s a plug with three wires in a four pin plug on the drivers side and one two pins on the right side by the cooler lines!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
The 3 pin in the drivers side connector is for torque converter lockup

The plug over by the cooler lines could be a temp sensor someone installed aftermarket

Or-

It's a pressure switch thats part of a TCS (trans controlled spark) system that opens and closes a vacuum solenoid that advances or retards timing slightly. In 3rd gear.....

Kinda feel like you probably are not using that, so it's possible it's just an aftermarket temp sensor for a aftermarket gauge

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
@Matt69olds
May have more input on the plug by the cooler lines, but the only other thing I could think would be like for a 2 step setup with a dump valve for a full manual VB..... but we have no pics lol

So it leaves us guessing, OP

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I think the 350 trans was retired before the 86 model year, so if it’s in fact a 350 someone swapped it.

If the 2 pin connector looks like a oil pressure switch, it’s for the transmission controlled spark. Pretty sure you won’t be using that with your crate engine. Pull it out, thread in a 1/8 pipe plug, problem solved.

As for the converter switch, there are a couple ways to go about getting it to lock. Pull the pan, find the pressure switch for 3rd gear. You need to know if it’s shows a ground when it’s pressurized. Or, if your lazy and just want to buy the correct switch go to your nearest transmission shop and ask for a normally open pressure switch. In other words, the switch connects to ground once the trans goes into 3rd gear.

You will also need a 2 wire lockup solenoid. One wire of the solenoid will go to the pressure switch, the other wire to a activation switch. Since you have a 86 truck, with the headlight dimmer on the column, the cleanest switch would be to use a headlight dimmer switch. Use that to supply power to the solenoid. Turn on the switch, once the trans shifts into 3rd gear the converter will lock.

They are also aftermarket lockup controllers that include delay timers to delay lockup activation (gets rid of the 3rd gear/immediate lockup) vacuum switches (automatically unlocks the converter under heavy throttle) brake switches (gets rid of the jerky sensation when you get on the brakes and back on the throttle) it just depends on how fancy you want, and how much you want to spend.

All of this ASSUMES you have a 350. If it’s a 700, most of what I said applies, but you need to make absolutely sure the TV cable is installed and adjusted correctly if not, you will burn up the trans almost instantly. A TV cable is not the same as a 350 kickdown cable!!!

Rick Smith

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverardo
Engine Size
Hey guys i really believe it is a 350 C three speed trans. the truck hasn't had anything replaced it was all original until now. when you say 700 do you mean 700R4? This transmission does have a TV cable!

Thanks

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
You do need to know if it is the 700R4 or the TH350. Your gear indicator may help (does it show a circle around the "D"?), but probably the better way would be to look at the pan. Does it have a corner cut off? If so, that's a 350. If it's mostly square, it would be a 700.
The 350 uses a kickdown cable that attaches to the throttle, and can be safely left off with a few tweaks. The 700 uses a TV cable that CANNOT BE LEFT OFF, and will burn up the transmission in minutes if improperly adjusted. That needs to be nailed down first.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Hey guys i really believe it is a 350 C three speed trans. the truck hasn't had anything replaced it was all original until now. when you say 700 do you mean 700R4? This transmission does have a TV cable!

Thanks
I'm going to preface this comment by saying I don't mean this in a condescending way, but you obviously don't know enough about this truck to be asking for this advise without pictures. There are lots of people trying to give you good advise based on wild ass guesses based on a poor description. Please post pictures of the connectors you are talking about and one of the entire transmission pan from the bottom. That way we can definitively identify the transmission type and then give you, FOR SURE, good advise on how to proceed.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Quick search says 1981 was the last year for the turbo350 in GM pickups.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
A picture is worth 1000 words. Lots of knowledge on this site, just have to give them all the info. It doesn't sound like a TH350.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Damn we're still on this?