tubular transmission support

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
For years I had to move that stupid factory trans. support. I'd fool with it like a dummy and had to because the was the only way to get to the rear row of bolts on a TH350 trans. But since it was years in order to get to 20-30k miles to change the fluid and filter I figured what the hell, it's only every once in awhile so I'll just fool with it. But the older I got the more of a hassle it got to unbolt it, jack the trans. up, slide the support back just far enough to get to that back row of bolts so I could get the pan off so I could do what needed to be done to properly change the fluid, get the pan off so I could look in the pan, clean it out, change the filter, put the pan back up, slide the damn support up, get the support bolts back in which may not be as easy as they were coming out as usual, it may need a hammer at some point, fill the trans. back up and the rest to get down the road.

Then Covid-19 hit and I had all this time and extra money since I couldn't go anywhere, or do anything I decided to finally buy one of those great looking tubular support's for my transmission. I searched the net and finally found this one from a company called "Dirty Dingo". And when I got it, it came painted black. I wanted something that was better looking so I had it powder coated RED! I contacted the company and asked them if they had decals and they said yes, so I had them send me some so I could put one on the support and here are some photos of it installed.

The support ends are quarter inch plate. The great thing about this particular support is, it lined up with the factory bolt holes in the frame. All I had to do is line them up and put in the bolts. It was great! I only needed to extend the holes on the right side but not that they didn't line up, but I did it so that if anyone needed to move the trans. back all they would have to do is remove the bolts more easily on that one side and slide the whole trans. back a few inches. The last photo is of a adjustable center for the trans. mount, which is a Energy Suspension polyurethane mount I got instead of OEM rubber, and the adjustable center is so you can use this support for a whole number of different kinds of transmissions.
You must be registered for see images attach

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Does anyone know how to buy something from a member? A member has a steering column for my '74 C10 that I might buy and I need to know how to buy it if it looks good enough.

WesN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I bought the Dirty Dingo cross member about a year and a half ago and I see they have done an upgrade by making the mount adjustable. I had to make a spacer to get the trans angle right. I like the newer adjustable one.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
For years I had to move that stupid factory trans. support. I'd fool with it like a dummy and had to because the was the only way to get to the rear row of bolts on a TH350 trans. But since it was years in order to get to 20-30k miles to change the fluid and filter I figured what the hell, it's only every once in awhile so I'll just fool with it. But the older I got the more of a hassle it got to unbolt it, jack the trans. up, slide the support back just far enough to get to that back row of bolts so I could get the pan off so I could do what needed to be done to properly change the fluid, get the pan off so I could look in the pan, clean it out, change the filter, put the pan back up, slide the damn support up, get the support bolts back in which may not be as easy as they were coming out as usual, it may need a hammer at some point, fill the trans. back up and the rest to get down the road.

Then Covid-19 hit and I had all this time and extra money since I couldn't go anywhere, or do anything I decided to finally buy one of those great looking tubular support's for my transmission. I searched the net and finally found this one from a company called "Dirty Dingo". And when I got it, it came painted black. I wanted something that was better looking so I had it powder coated RED! I contacted the company and asked them if they had decals and they said yes, so I had them send me some so I could put one on the support and here are some photos of it installed.

The support ends are quarter inch plate. The great thing about this particular support is, it lined up with the factory bolt holes in the frame. All I had to do is line them up and put in the bolts. It was great! I only needed to extend the holes on the right side but not that they didn't line up, but I did it so that if anyone needed to move the trans. back all they would have to do is remove the bolts more easily on that one side and slide the whole trans. back a few inches. The last photo is of a adjustable center for the trans. mount, which is a Energy Suspension polyurethane mount I got instead of OEM rubber, and the adjustable center is so you can use this support for a whole number of different kinds of transmissions.

After seeing the pictures I could not resist and ordered one 5 minutes ago with black powdercoating for my c20 transmission swap.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
ali_c20,

Good for you! They're great. Now here's the deal though, if GM had put a drain plug in the stock pan I probably wouldn't have needed one except for a periodic filter change. The thing is to change the fluid every 20K to 30K miles, and only in some places does it say to also change the filter.

Now my wife had a '77 Buick Century Special and her TH350, same as the one in my truck, didn't have the x-member near the pan blocking the back row of bolts so I was always able to change the filter along with the fluid. Her TH350 had the fibrous filter with a metal upper part with an opening at one end for the fluid to get in along with it being sucked up through the lower full filtering part. I never could figure out what that opening was for. Mine had the fibrous filter to. But the next trip to the auto parts store all I got in the box was a screened filter you most times didn't need to change as often as the fibrous one which needed changing every time you changed fluid.

This x-member support allows all kinds of room to do whatever I want to do. Now, all I need to do is get my headers rehung so they are more centered in that bend and replace the part of the exhaust tube that was bent in order to get under and over the factory x-member. Now I don't have that problem and can run my exhaust tube straight back under that bent in the new support.

By the looks of you new header collector you can run the exhaust tube very cleanly back to your mufflers now with nearly no bends at all!!

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Do you have the part number?