1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to decide on a lift for my project.

Discussion in '4wd Suburban, Blazer and Jimmy' started by lakotastahl005, Jul 27, 2020.

1. lakotastahl005

lakotastahl005 Junior Member

First Name:
    Lakota
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V2500 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    5.7 tbi
    I will be starting another suburban project here soon. It is a 1989 v2500 GMC suburban. I plan to put in a 350 tbi paired to an nv4500 with np208 transfer case. I'm going to bed line the whole thing in and out. I'm also going to build some 8 inch c channel bumpers for the front and back.

My question is, how much do I need to lift it, if I need to lift it at all, to get 285/75r16 tires underneath?

The reason I'm going with that tire size is because I have some basic 16" steel rims.

I don't want to run blocks. I really like the shackle flip in the rear. Just not sure whether to do 2.5" or 4". And in the front I'm not really sure what to do. I have explored both ORD and diy4x for ideas. I like the b52 kit from diy4x but I'm not sure I will like how high a 4" lift with be.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

2. 77 K20

77 K20 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20 5" lift
    Engine Size:
    HT383 fuel injected
    The 285s should fit as long as you don't use wheels that are too wide or have some wild offset. If you just have basic steel wheels then you should be fine.

I ran 285s with some 2" Tuff Country HD front springs, no swaybar and a 3" rear block:

[​IMG]

It rode better than stock, but then I starting to go on tougher and rougher trails. Blocks had to go. I wanted articulation and a smooth ride as my main goal.

I had 52" rear springs that were pretty shot after 40+ years. I bought some stock brand new 56" springs and a 2.5" shackle flip. (I didn't like how far down the 4" shackle flip hangs). On a long bed truck this puts the pinion angle just about perfect- and no pinion angle correction was needed. However- it did shift the axle forward a noticeable amount and I bought an axle relocation plate from ORD to shift it back. These new springs plus the 2.5" shackle flip ended up being closer to a 4.5" lift. Front springs are ORD custom springs. Spendy though.

Since the lift was more than I thought out went the 285s and I got 315s instead. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]