Truck won't turnover sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
I have a 1976 Scottsdale 4x4 that usually runs great but sometimes I go to start it and it turns over once and then nothing happens. I've been able to get it going by disconnecting the ground and sparking it on the positive to short the starter (advice from someone I know) but that doesn't always work so I'm not sure if it's the starter or something else. The battery is almost new and even when the truck won't start the lights will still come on and are plenty bright so I don't believe it's a battery issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm new to all of this!

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What are the conditions of the battery cables? New, recent, or couple of years old? You could have cables that are corroded inside the cable.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Check ground cable connection to frame or block?

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
What are the conditions of the battery cables? New, recent, or couple of years old? You could have cables that are corroded inside the cable.
Cables are maybe a year old. I might replace them anyway just to eliminate the possibility

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
Check ground cable connection to frame or block?
One of my grounds is a smallish gauge wire so I might replace that with something bigger. Otherwise, the ground connections are good and clean

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Cables are maybe a year old. I might replace them anyway just to eliminate the possibility
Generally, cables don't corrode within a year. As @82sbshortbed stated about checking grounds on the frame or engine. Any paint, primer, rust, etc. will degrade the path for voltage to flow. Clean metal, washers, bolts, and terminals are key.

Gray Beard

Reaction score
First Name
Toni
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
You may have a bad spot on the starter solenoid. The copper contact gets a bad spot it will act up. You can pull the solenoid and take it apart and flip the copper contact point in the end cap. Quick fix.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I do not understand OPs statement. Taking off the negative battery cable and sparking it to the positive. Negative cable disconnected from battery,now you have an open circuit,your negative cable can't spark to the positive terminal. Exactly what are you doing? If you are taking the negative cable off then putting it back on and then the truck starts I would think you need to clean your negative post and the end that goes on it. If it's a repair end take it apart and clean it. AAAAH. Dammit I've gotta start looking at thread dates before I post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400