Truck won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jairie laplante

Reaction score
First Name
jairie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hello I'm new to working on vehicles so this may be a dumb question. I have a 1981 c10 truck with the 250 inline 6 that one day just stopped starting when I turned the key it does buzz or anything just turn the key forward to start and nothing. I was able to get it to start by turning the key on and crossing terminals on the starter a couple times but then that stopped working so I replaced the solenoid and starter since it was fairly cheap and now it does work with the terminals but I know it's not good for it and I'm not sure what could be making the key not work I've followed the wires and they seem fine on the engine bay side Atleast any ideas?

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
Did you mean it doesn't buzz when you turn the key on? Manual transmission or automatic? Manual trans has a clutch interlock so the clutch must be pushed in. The automatics have an interlock that will only allow the engine to crank with the shifter in P or N. On my '73 C20 that interlock is going out and sometimes I have to shift into N to start because it won't crank in P. Try cranking in N if its an automatic.

jairie laplante

Reaction score
First Name
jairie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Did you mean it doesn't buzz when you turn the key on? Manual transmission or automatic? Manual trans has a clutch interlock so the clutch must be pushed in. The automatics have an interlock that will only allow the engine to crank with the shifter in P or N. On my '73 C20 that interlock is going out and sometimes I have to shift into N to start because it won't crank in P. Try cranking in N if its an automatic.

It's a manual and I don't think mine has the clutch switch because before when it was all working I was able to start it without pushing the clutch but I have tried clutch and everything and when I turn the key on my dash lights come on and everything is powered but turn for ignition and nothing

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
When you turn the key to the crank position does your volt meter go dead or continue to read 12V?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Start by checking to make sure there is enough voltage in the battery, a simple test for someone that don't know a lot about cars would be to try to jump start it and see if it'll crank. My bet is is won't but you gotta know you have enough voltage or you'll end up chasing your tail. Next take a test light or multi-meter and connect it to the small wire on the starter, if you have more than one small terminal make sure you are connecting the meter to the terminal marked I. And for that matter make sure that you didn't switch them when you replaced the starter. Anyhow have friend try to crank it to see if there is power at the small wire on the starter, if not it's up stream. You have very few possibilities on these only rigs.

Burned out fusible link, you will most likely be able to visually see that the fusible link is bad if it is, but also you could test for voltage before and after.

If it doesn't have a clutch switch then there is the bulk head connector, the ignition switch and the wiring.

Also possible is a bad ground, but is probably less likely since you can get it going by jumping across the terminals.

jairie laplante

Reaction score
First Name
jairie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Start by checking to make sure there is enough voltage in the battery, a simple test for someone that don't know a lot about cars would be to try to jump start it and see if it'll crank. My bet is is won't but you gotta know you have enough voltage or you'll end up chasing your tail. Next take a test light or multi-meter and connect it to the small wire on the starter, if you have more than one small terminal make sure you are connecting the meter to the terminal marked I. And for that matter make sure that you didn't switch them when you replaced the starter. Anyhow have friend try to crank it to see if there is power at the small wire on the starter, if not it's up stream. You have very few possibilities on these only rigs.

Burned out fusible link, you will most likely be able to visually see that the fusible link is bad if it is, but also you could test for voltage before and after.

If it doesn't have a clutch switch then there is the bulk head connector, the ignition switch and the wiring.

Also possible is a bad ground, but is probably less likely since you can get it going by jumping across the terminals.
I will have to try these thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128