Truck won't start or come out of gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leadlobber7

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Hello. just changed my ignition switch on my 86 K30 454 TH400 4x4. I did drop the steering column by loosening the two bolts on the engine side of the firewall and also removed the 2 large bolts under the dash that upward support the steering column and the 4 bolts that bolt around the steering column. I got everything put back together and now my truck won't start and it won't go in gear. I've no idea what's going on. I Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Hmmmm.

Since it is an auto - there is a shift linkage under the hood that attaches to the shift arm of the column.

Did you somehow get it in a bind under the hood ?

It can be disconnected by removing a cotter pin and washer.

If after doing that the column frees up and the shift bowl turns you will be good.

HTH

Britt

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

leadlobber7

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Hmmmm.

Since it is an auto - there is a shift linkage under the hood that attaches to the shift arm of the column.

Did you somehow get it in a bind under the hood ?

It can be disconnected by removing a cotter pin and washer.

If after doing that the column frees up and the shift bowl turns you will be good.

HTH

Britt
Would that also be the reason why the truck won't start? It is in park and wont come out of park

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
There is a "lock" inside the steering column whereas the shifter will only move if key is on. It will lock it in park or neutral.

Hope I explained this right. Something is not right in the steering column.

Also NSS will only allow the truck to start in Park or Neutral.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
There is a "lock" inside the steering column whereas the shifter will only move if key is on. It will lock it in park or neutral.

Hope I explained this right. Something is not right in the steering column.

Also NSS will only allow the truck to start in Park or Neutral.

He is right - the shift bowl is designed with an interference so that the rod that goes down to the ignition switch cannot move except in certain positions of the shift bowl.
The shift bowl is linked to the transmission rod - the bowl rotates as you pull the shift lever down or up.

My assumption was that all worked OK before.

I guess your ignition switch could be out of adjustment, but I can't see that preventing the bowl moving.

Seems like the trick was to have the key in the run position, then hook the switch on the ignition rod and slightly snug the 2 bolts.
You can then test the start and accessories function and adjust the switch as needed by moving it slightly up or down and snuggling the bolts.

Did the column have issues before?

leadlobber7

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Fellers I appreciate the help more than you know! You both were right, I did not move the selector to the right position on the new ignition switch. So it was not in accessory position as the instructions call for on a tilt style column. I removed the switch followed the instructions to a T and everything worked great. Thank you very much for pointing out the obvious as I should have followed in the first place!! Have a great weekend

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84