Truck is leaning to one side ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V20 4X4

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
6.2 soon to be 454
My truck had a 4" Superlift that had a real bad driverside sagg, 1.75" up front and a 1" sagg in the rear. I just removed the Superlift and went to a stock 4 leaf HD spring set up in the front and removed the rear blocks and replaced all 8 ubolts and all 4 shocks. The truck still has the dang driverside lean to it. It's not as bad as it was, but It's still anoying and I can't stand it. It's now 1" up front and about 3/4" in the rear. What else could it be? Maybe the body bushings???

Last edited:

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Yes I would check the bushings probably all mushed and cracked, energy suspention has I nice poly kit for 100$

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
None of mine lean to one side. The C10 did, but the left front coil has a couple wedges in it to level it out... it was previously owned by a fat guy.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I know it's a lot of work but switch the front springs around and see if that helps. If you switched both front & rear your lean might go to the other side lol. Do you know the history of the truck? I.E. did it used to be a work truck hauling heavy loads or have a heavy toolbox on one side? Maybe a ladder rack with more weight on one side than the other?

V20 4X4

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
6.2 soon to be 454
I know it's a lot of work but switch the front springs around and see if that helps. If you switched both front & rear your lean might go to the other side lol. Do you know the history of the truck? I.E. did it used to be a work truck hauling heavy loads or have a heavy toolbox on one side? Maybe a ladder rack with more weight on one side than the other?

The front springs are brand new. I just installed them two days ago along with 4 new shocks. The rear's are a set of stock 8 leafs. I would hate to go through all the work to swap the rears and have the lean go to the other side. That would suck!!! The truck use to pull a 5th wheel trailer at one time in it's life.

Is there anyway that the rear leafs could effect the front to make it sagg more then the back?

I'm thinking I will look into switching out for a new set of body bushings all the way around the truck. What brand should I get, and who has the best deal on a kit that includes everything?

Anyone ever done this ? If so did you have any problems removing any of the bolts? I would sure hate to bust off a bolt inside the floor. I had that problem with my 66 Chevelle, and it was a major pain in the ass!

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Maybe look at the rear leaf packs real good and see if maybe the side that leans has a broken spring, sometimes it is hard to see. My truck had a broken spring for a long time and I never knew it until I swapped the springs out for 56" rears. My parking area isn't level so I probably never would have noticed any lean. On a truck of your model year the bolts may not be that bad, just depends on how much salty snowy roads it has seen in its life. You may want to go ahead and get the tap for the body mount bolts before you start just to be safe. By the way does your truck still have the front sway bar? I took mine off and if there's a slight lean to wherever it's parked the truck leans pretty good.

V20 4X4

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
6.2 soon to be 454
Maybe look at the rear leaf packs real good and see if maybe the side that leans has a broken spring, sometimes it is hard to see. My truck had a broken spring for a long time and I never knew it until I swapped the springs out for 56" rears. My parking area isn't level so I probably never would have noticed any lean. On a truck of your model year the bolts may not be that bad, just depends on how much salty snowy roads it has seen in its life. You may want to go ahead and get the tap for the body mount bolts before you start just to be safe. By the way does your truck still have the front sway bar? I took mine off and if there's a slight lean to wherever it's parked the truck leans pretty good.

My truck was never driving in the winter, it is rust free. So I "should be ok".

Yes mine still has the sway bar. Why would you want to remove it? It's not needed ??? What would the benefit be of removing it be?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
A stock height truck needs it. The front springs are negative arch and only has 2 or 3 leafs. But when you lift it they are positive arch and usually 5-spring packs, much stiffer and less prone to body roll. Also many offroaders remove them to prevent the sway bar from limiting front axle articulation. Opinions vary on the subject but I think the majority would agree, on a lifted truck the need for one is less important unless your local inspection laws require it to be in place.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
When parked on level ground, measure the distance between the rear axle and the bump stops. If both sides are about the same then the springs are OK.

swagger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM-465/NP-205
When parked on level ground, measure the distance between the rear axle and the bump stops. If both sides are about the same then the springs are OK.

Do that^^ and measure the distance between body/core support and the top of the frame on each side find your problem real fast
Steve

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Check to see if the frame is leaning or if the body is leaning that will tell you what you need to replace

Steel6xliii

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've got the same problem. Both frame and body leans evenly to the right. I've swapped the front Springs and replaced all four shocks. People say it's my frame but all the lines match up both cab and bed, some say leaf Springs. Need help please!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

weezman11

Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 BLAZER
Engine Size
My K5 leans to the driver's side. I've swapped out all the suspension components and gone through various rear spring packs (currently 6 leaf 56" springs with a shackle flip). New shocks, etc.. I have noticed the lean is less noticeable when the gas tank is closer to empty. No sway bar either as I'm running crossover steering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesardelacadena