Truck bed trailer with solid axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
So having sold the cab and front clip from my 85 means that I have a frame now, and I have already cut it to sell the front suspension out of it, with the intention of making the rear section a trailer frame, so I am wondering if anyone has replaced the trucks rear axle for a real trailer axle using the stock truck springs?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
honestly, its cheaper to just use a factory rear axle. They are everywhere and cheap. Get an open 14 bolt for $100 or so and you'll have a trailer that can hold ~4500-5000lbs no problem. You can pull the carrier, gears and axle shafts, put a cover plate over the axle mounting surfaces, and run it. If you want to have some trailer braking, you can just get a hydraulic brake tongue when you buy the tongue to make the trailer.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
im surprised no one rang me on this subject!
You must be registered for see images attach

I found making the caps out of a snowmobile sign was a good idea. I used a drill press on low speed(moved belt), a 4 inch hole saw with no center drill, secured very well to press table, used cutting fluid(ATF, type f i have loads of it), and used an axle flange gasket to center punch the proper spots for the bolts, then used a step bit to bore it just to the right size so the bolts mostly fit snug. I used milwaukee hole and step bits.if you need some manufactured i could prob do that, otherwise if you dont mind wasting a 14 bolt axle shaft you could cut it off. but that wasnt something i wanted to do since i could have spare axles for my truck.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I don't know if this helps at all but I've made several trailer axles using schedule 40 pipe what ever length I needed. Cap the ends with channel iron and drill to bolt on spindles .Whatever length of channel you bolt on will determine how much drop you can give it, but you have to have a few inches of drop so you can use bolts and nuts to hold on the spindles.I rob the rear spindles ,drums, etc. From anything fwd with bolt on rear spindles.Dirt cheap trailer axles.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Be an easy deal. Haven't priced any lately but seems the last 7000 pound Dexter axle, same width as a pickup I bought was around $200, with no brakes. May want to be sure the spring pads are not welded on because I bet the truck frame is a tick narrow from what a trailer frame would be. Also, when buying trailer axles, they are measured hub face to hub face. Set of U bolts and bob's your uncle.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The OP I think was thinking he couldnt use the differential for the trailer, so he was asking about aftermarket. I think if he has a full float axle, he should stick with the ease of mounting. but if he goes trailer axle, there are things he can do to better the trailer.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
The OP I think was thinking he couldnt use the differential for the trailer, so he was asking about aftermarket. I think if he has a full float axle, he should stick with the ease of mounting. but if he goes trailer axle, there are things he can do to better the trailer.

Yes ma'am. Was only passing on information, he is more than welcome to do as he pleases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1