Trouble changing turn signal switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I attempted to change my turn signal switch today and failed miserably. :Grenade:

I got everything taken apart and unplugged the harness under the dash, but couldn't get the harness to pull up through the steering column. Best I can tell, there is some sort of sleeve that the wires all run in up through the column. It's just barely big enough for the wires to fit through and there's no way I could ever get the plug through it.

You can see the end of the plastic sleeve here
You must be registered for see images attach

I spent 10 minutes just getting the wires to slide up and down a little in the column and 2 hours trying to figure out a way to pull them out without cutting the plug off. I even took the column bolts out thinking that was squeezing the plastic sleeve. Every write up and Youtube video I've looked at has just shown the harness just pulling up through the column with ease. Am I completely stupid and missing something here or is everyone else's column different?

I gave up and put it all back together for now.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No one?

I looked through my Chiltons manual and it doesn't go into detail on removing the turn signal switch after the the column in disassembled to access it. Just says to unplug and remove it. There's a couple exploded diagrams, but none show the sleeve that mine has. :disgust::suicide:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The sleeve is circled in red. It's hard to tell from the pic, but the plug is physically larger than that sleeve is.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Sorry - I had written a suggestion last night but then got side tracked by some Saab problem. When I got back to post m browser was locked up and I didn't save it.

Anyway, that sleeve is called the wire protector and I think that needs to come out to provide clearance for the wires (not the wires so much, the connector at the end is the problem) to be pulled up through the jacket.

To yank that clump of wires (and the connector at the end) through that tiny gap - it's not happening.

I agree with you that any of the the available written procedures for this R&R are sketchy at best - also some of the are just wrong. Here is one that includes a step calling for the removal of the harness protector. But get this, that step is sequentially after the step that says to "Pull the switch connector out of the bracket on the jacket and feed switch connector through column support bracket and pull switch straight up, guiding the wiring harness through the column housing and protector".

1.Remove the steering wheel.
2.Remove the column to instrument panel trim cover.
3.Position screwdriver blade into cover slot. Pry up and out to free cover from lock plate.
4.Screw the center post of Lock Plate Compressing Tool J-23653 onto the steering shaft as far as it will Compress the lock plate by turning the center post clockwise. Pry the round wire snap ring out of the shaft groove and discard the ring. Remove Tool J-23653 and lift the end of the shaft
5.Slide the directional signal cancelling cam upper bearing preload spring and thrust washer off the end of the shaft.
6.Remove the directional signal lever screw and remove the lever.
7.Push the hazard warning knob in and unscrew the knob.
8.Remove the three switch mounting screws.
9.All Columns - Pull the switch connector out of the bracket on the jacket and feed switch connector through column support bracket and pull switch straight up, guiding the wiring harness through the column housing and protector.

10.Remove wire protector by pulling downward out of column with pliers using tab provided.
Tilt Column - Position the directional signal and shifter housing in the "low" position. Remove the harness cover by pulling toward the lower end of the column, be careful not to damage the wires.

11.Remove the three switch mounting screws and pull the switch straight up, guiding the wiring harness and cover through the column housing.

'
Bottom line: that "sleeve" needs to come out - and it needs to come out before the directional switch wiring group can be pulled up through the column.

Non tilt: pull it out with a pair of needle nose pliers (IN THE DOWN DIRECTION)

Tilt type: It says to pull the sleeve out "toward the lower end of the column" but I'm not sure. Here are the images for each type of column:

Sorry man, but that's all I can offer. I've done it before but my memory isn't what it used to be. I told you those pictures weren't going to be much help. Did you download the rar files and look through them?

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Oh yeah, here's a link a had saved. It shows a guy pulling the column of a 1989 Pontiac Bonneville apart. After he gets the steering wheel off everything should start to look familiar - the column guts are the same across all divisions and up till 1991.

http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/1987/topic6941.html

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks man! Those pics are helpful. I had looked through those other files before I started working on it.

I'll take a look at that link later today when I get some free time. Anything is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
That sleeve opens up but the easy way to do it is to remove the upper mounting bracket from the column. Support the column, remove the screw from the transmission indicator wire and pull it away from the column. In the picture above it looks like you have the bolts removed from the column to the bracket. Now just remove the two bolts that hold the bracket to the frame and move it out of the way. Then just open that sleeve and remove the wires.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How are you doing on this now? Getting it? I see you're in an 84, so are you replacing the turnsignal switch itself, or the multifunction switch or both? If funds aren't a huge issue at the moment, I'd go ahead and replace the mulitifunction stick switch too. This way you avolid any wiper or Cruise Control problems down the road where you'd have to pull all this apart again. I might also add, these are the type parts I don't mind paying extra and getting the OEM GM Dealership parts. Even look on Ebay for NOS parts and you might get a steal.

This isn't hard, just take your time, no rush. If you do, you can potentinally break other small parts or see sometihng come flying out and take hourse to figured out where it goes.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How are you doing on this now? Getting it? I see you're in an 84, so are you replacing the turnsignal switch itself, or the multifunction switch or both? If funds aren't a huge issue at the moment, I'd go ahead and replace the mulitifunction stick switch too. This way you avolid any wiper or Cruise Control problems down the road where you'd have to pull all this apart again. I might also add, these are the type parts I don't mind paying extra and getting the OEM GM Dealership parts. Even look on Ebay for NOS parts and you might get a steal.

This isn't hard, just take your time, no rush. If you do, you can potentinally break other small parts or see sometihng come flying out and take hourse to figured out where it goes.

I gave up after 2 hours and put it all back together. I had it tore apart in the shop at work so I couldn't just leave it there. I'll try again when it's warm out and I have the whole weekend to mess with it.

I still don't see how I can get that sleeve opened up to get the plug through. There's just not enough room in there. Hell, I might just take the whole column out of the truck when I get a free weekend.

What do you mean by multifunction switch? The wiper switch? I was gonna replace it too so I could continue my delay wiper retrofit, but one of those was over $100 and I have better things to spend money on at the moment. Like an engine rebuild kit.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
yeah, the turn signal lever with the Cruise Control and Wipers IS the multifunction switch. The stick itself. The turn signal switch is inside the column and what you're showing a pic of.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
yeah, the turn signal lever with the Cruise Control and Wipers IS the multifunction switch. The stick itself. The turn signal switch is inside the column and what you're showing a pic of.

Ohh, you're talking about changing the turn signal lever. I don't have cruise control, but I have most of the pieces, so I'm still debating on whether or not I want to add cruise to it. I'll change that later when I make up my mind.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Uugh. I may be facing the same dilemma. I think my brake light issue is due to a bad turn signal switch. Geez...not looking forward to tearing apart my column to fix this unless it's definately the issue.

Andorius

Reaction score
First Name
Andor
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Just finished this on My '76 bourbon. I know this thread is old, but there are few places for those who are looking for answers to getting the wiring connector out. No need to remove the column mounting screws, or the dumb plastic sleeve.

Two options: the sleeve doesn't wrap all of the way around the wires. Push the wiring out of the side(driver's right)on the under-dash end and pull it right out the top. Option two, remove the 3 screws on the switch 1st, force the end of the connecting plug in to the sleeve and yank it out through the sleeve. This worked just fine for My 42 year old arrangement...

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
you can get the wires out without taking the column apart. you need to take the wires out of the plastic connecter. it's easy with the correct tool. make sure to write a diagram of how the wires come out so you can get them back in the correct order. take the wires out of the connecter and unscrew the switch now you can pull it out without further disassembly. then simply do the same to the new switch and you can feed the wires down the column through the sleeve. then reinstall the plastic connecter. easy peasy. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robo