Transmission Vendor Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TFerguson

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
Greetings to all. I'm on the hunt for a new/reman 700R4 to replace the ailing unit in my '90 Blazer. It's running a reman stock-spec TBI 350 4-bolt, so not looking for anything too fancy-shmancy. I really just want something that will bolt in, be reliable for at least 100k miles, and capable of some occasional towing. I've done the usual internet searching, and have looked at the usual suspects like Monster, Summit, and Jegs, but before I plop down the cash I'm hoping I can get some real-world experience-based advice from you experts out there. Are there any vendors that you would recommend or not recommend? For example, I seem to read only bad things about Monster Transmission, but I also know that people will post a bad review before they will say anything good, so maybe someone has had a good experience with them? Thanks in advance.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Pro Built automatics.
Bowtie overdrive.
There are others as well, but monster not one of them.

TFerguson

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
Thanks - I'll check 'em out!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You might also consider Jasper.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I just ordered a 700r4 from jegs because it was $1,800 and monster was 4k. I also heard monster sucks. 2k to put it in the driveway. 2 months later they sent me a th350. Fck me.

Called them and was gonna get money back but can't find a core to rebuild so I sent it back and should have the right one at the end of August. I'm sure this doesn't happen much but I figured I'd give them a chance to make it right. Plus it was the best deal I could find.

TFerguson

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
Wow, 82sbshortbed, that sucks. Jegs does have some decent prices, and I have gotten stuff from them like a radiator and some minor parts. Hopefully they will make it right for you.

Not sure I want to go the cheapest route on the trans, since I've never had much luck with autos, so really looking to get something I can count on. To be honest, I'd prefer a manual. I wish somebody made a kit to convert 4x4 square-bodies to a newer manual trans. So far I've only found kits for 2wd trucks. I know it can be done using junkyard parts, but sounds like a big job (to me) to get it all swapped over.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Jakes's Transmissions in Bridgeport, TX. Builds racing transmissions, but also does stock rebuilds. Personal friend of mine, also a sandbox Vet. He just did my TH400 for my '86 3/4 ton stepper. (940) 488-1018 or (940) 488-1031.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Last edited:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I’d just look for a local shop to rebuild what you have. That way, if there are any problems you won’t have far to go for warranty work.
For your needs, the trans won’t require much as far as upgrades. Replace the drive shell, good band, upgrade the 3-4 clutches and some hydraulic upgrades, careful assembly and it will last at least as long as the original.

Any transmission shop that has been in business for more than a couple years should be very familiar with a 700. It’s probably the most common transmission, with the longest production run of any trans ever made.

Whatever the warranty is on the unit, make sure you drop the pan a few hundred miles before the date or mileage is up. If there is anything wearing or slipping, you will find the evidence on the pan.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I’d just look for a local shop to rebuild what you have. That way, if there are any problems you won’t have far to go for warranty work.
I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested this before now. It's a good idea IF you happen to live in an area with good tranny shop that will charge a reasonable rate. In my area there are none and Rick maybe in a similar situation. So for me there are basically 2 options the cheap guy with a reputation of not doing good work, and by cheap he quoted me $2k for a heavy duty 700R4 rebuild, and then there is the place with the good reputation $3,200 for a 700R4. I can't afford that. My plan for the longest time was to get a tranny from Bowtie, because they seem to have the best rep of the big well known online builders until a shop about 100 miles away and on the other side of the pass was pointed out to me thanks to one of the forum members. I would rather do that because of the warranty situation and if necessary having an entire vehicle towed over there is plausible. I guess what I'm saying is local vs online is something that needs to be weighed.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Transmission shops aren’t nearly as common as the once were, but I’d be willing to bet almost anyone could find a decent shop within 50-100 miles of anywhere.

TFerguson

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
Thanks Victor, Matt, & Rob - appreciate the good input. I have been on the lookout for a decent transmission shop, but so far I haven't gotten a great impression from the ones I've talked to in my area. I don't mind doing the work myself, and I actually prefer that. But if I found a reputable shop that seemed worth throwing an extra grand at, I'd definitely consider that option. If anyone has any recommendations for good shops in central Virginia, shoot some names at me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1