trailer deck treatment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Desertstorm

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
1986 & 1978
Truck Model
3/4 ton 4wd
Engine Size
I purchased a new car trailer 8 months ago and the deck material is 2x6 treated lumber, its dry enough now for some kind of weather treatment so what do you guys suggest? I would like it to be a non skid surface. I have heard of applying bed liner but I've never seen it on a trailer deck, not sure if it would stick to the wood surface. any suggestions?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I purchased a new car trailer 8 months ago and the deck material is 2x6 treated lumber, its dry enough now for some kind of weather treatment so what do you guys suggest? I would like it to be a non skid surface. I have heard of applying bed liner but I've never seen it on a trailer deck, not sure if it would stick to the wood surface. any suggestions?
it will be slick to do this immediately, but old motor oil diluted with kerosene or diesel sprayed onto the wood makes a long lasting protection, but it will be slippery for some time. I recommend a mechanical assistance for traction if that was done. Otherwise, you want a friction increasing coating, which a garage floor no slip epoxy coating probably could be applied to wood, like one that has grippy to it. But you would be limited to garage floor and other industrial coatings for something with grit, because walking coatings cant take the weight of a car. they would just fail and wear off especially if wheel slip happens. I would do the kerosene and motor oil because I have like 100 gallons of oil but because i woudl want to keep the wood from rottoing and drying and cracking etc, and you could probably install nonskid things on top if you wanted it for not falling, but if you want traction in a vehicle, then I am nnot sure.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Boiled Linseed oil. Brush on once a year.
... ive only seen that in small containers, does it come in jugs? I feel like that would be tedius if you could only use a quart at a time

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I use used motor oil on mine. It soaks right in and is not slick, especially after a little dust sticks to it.
I just replaced my deck 3 years ago. The original deck was from 1995.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
TWP (total wood preservative) is the best stuff I have used. Much better than any other deck sealer, which is basically what you are doing. Very easy and fast to apply with a rag sparingly, let soak in then wipe access off. Pic of a 5 gal bucket, and wood post on the deck treated three years ago on the south side of our porch. I order it online, they ship to your door. Thompson's works, but does not last long. Linseed works, but expensive, thick and harder to apply. Kerosene and oil, (Auroragirl) also work but like she said slippery and kerosene really stinks, TWP outlasts them all!

You must be registered for see images attach

dusterdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c15
Engine Size
I put herculiner on mine

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I use used motor oil on mine. It soaks right in and is not slick, especially after a little dust sticks to it.
I just replaced my deck 3 years ago. The original deck was from 1995.
the suggestion i said with kerosene or diesel was people find that it thins the oil and allows it to penetrate and that works for some people. I imagine the grain of the decking and the age/wear of the wood to start would be big in determimning if that would be necessary

plus all my oil is thin, its a lot of gas and my 55 gallon drum has about 10 gallons or so of kerosene in it because of a certain test I did once. Pro tip, dont pour 12 gallons of kerosene into a crankcase unless you put a spout on the oil pan first

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
TWP (total wood preservative) is the best stuff I have used. Much better than any other deck sealer, which is basically what you are doing. Very easy and fast to apply with a rag sparingly, let soak in then wipe access off. Pic of a 5 gal bucket, and wood post on the deck treated three years ago on the south side of our porch. I order it online, they ship to your door. Thompson's works, but does not last long. Linseed works, but expensive, thick and harder to apply. Kerosene and oil, (Auroragirl) also work but like she said slippery and kerosene really stinks, TWP outlasts them all!

i guess im just used to kerosene after wearng it >.>

but that wood perservative, is it something along the lines of a "restorer" like for example, an unpainted, untreated fence thats getting a little ragged, would it be good for that? Ive seen products that are aimed at that specifically, that "seal" and keeep it from rotting further, but if this one is just to keep good wood, good, that would be helpful in its own right around the property lol..

Desertstorm

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
1986 & 1978
Truck Model
3/4 ton 4wd
Engine Size
thanks for all the input, I will check out the TWP

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
the suggestion i said with kerosene or diesel was people find that it thins the oil and allows it to penetrate and that works for some people. I imagine the grain of the decking and the age/wear of the wood to start would be big in determimning if that would be necessary

plus all my oil is thin, its a lot of gas and my 55 gallon drum has about 10 gallons or so of kerosene in it because of a certain test I did once. Pro tip, dont pour 12 gallons of kerosene into a crankcase unless you put a spout on the oil pan first
I used to mix a little diesel in the oil. Then I just started using it straight, and hot right from the engine.
I've got a dedicated paint roller with a long handle that I use, straight from the drain pan.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Desertstorm,

Lowe's sells a wood coating product called "Thompson's Weather Seal" And like other similar wood products you can take a pressure washer to the boards once a year, when dry, recoat. You can apply it with a roller or even a mop if that's all you have. I built a big picnic pavillion with a 2x4 floor and used a fuzzy roller and just slathered it on there. It's not like paint where you have to get the coats all nice and even. No, just get it on there as much as you think it needs. It's going to soak in anyway. Just make sure it's a warm day with low humidity, with no rain predicted in two or three days, really the longer it dries the better, like at least four days would be good. I did three structures.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@Desertstorm,

Lowe's sells a wood coating product called "Thompson's Weather Seal" And like other similar wood products you can take a pressure washer to the boards once a year, when dry, recoat. You can apply it with a roller or even a mop if that's all you have. I built a big picnic pavillion with a 2x4 floor and used a fuzzy roller and just slathered it on there. It's not like paint where you have to get the coats all nice and even. No, just get it on there as much as you think it needs. It's going to soak in anyway. Just make sure it's a warm day with low humidity, with no rain predicted in two or three days, really the longer it dries the better, like at least four days would be good. I did three structures.
is it tinted or tintable

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl,

I'm not real sure. It seems to me that I remember they have some that is different colors for different kinds of wood. As far as being tintable, it's already tinted I think. I used the clear. Skip over to the Lowe's site and take a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat