Torque converter install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlfuksa

Reaction score
First Name
jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have lost my access to a lift and to have my local trans shop install a converter I already have is no more than robbery. Using jackstands and brute strength, , does anyone have anytips? Good life insurance policy maybe?

jlfuksa

Reaction score
First Name
jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I do have a motorcycle jack I plan to rig up as a transmission jack

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have used all thread in two of the holes in the block and slide the transmission back enough to change out the torque converter. Just pull the driveshaft move transmission back enough to get all thread in with a nut on both sides of the block keep a jack stand or floor jack on the back of the transmission and take it slow and easy, would be nice to have an extra set of hands available along the way.

jlfuksa

Reaction score
First Name
jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's an awesome plan, thank you!

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If your handy with a welder, get some flat steel plate, weld some round stock the fit the hole in your jack once you remove the saddle. Weld some angle iron to the steel plate, position the angle iron on the corners of the pan. Weld a couple large washers to the side of the plate. Once you have the plate on the trans pan, run a ratchet strap over the pan, place the hooks in the washers you welded to the plate. Now you have a transmission jack holding fixture. Unless things get way off balance, the trans should stay pretty level and secure. Slide the trans back just far enough to remove the converter. Install the new converter, slide the trans back up to the engine block. Slowly tighten the bellhousing bolts, making sure the converter spins. Don’t tighten the bolts all the way without checking the converter!!! If you crank the bellhousing bolts with the converter not seated correctly, you will be removing the trans again, this time completely to replace the pump. With the bolts tightened, the converter should move freely.

Good luck, hope that helps.