Too much sh** to clean by hand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taylorb27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Bought a 5.3l off a running pickup. A pickup that I knew and have driven around in. Apparently the owner wasn't too religious with oil changes though as it is GUNKED up. Judging from my pictures that I'll post have you had luck cleaning a super gunked up engine with carb clean and a brush? I figure I could go through the oil holes with a rifle barrel brush.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Taylorb27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I may see what I can get with a scraper, a brass brush and our pressure washer. The washer goes to 275° degrees so it may work. I'll do the heads first since they are aluminun.
I'll do the block when I know dang well I can get it completely dried, oiled and bagged.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Pull it down and give it a proper check over. How many miles has it done? Sludge can also build up from blow by of the piston rings, this engine might have run alright but may be getting a little tired. The exhaust ports look a little wet, how do the plugs look.
I would only be wanting to fit this engine once.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I mean, not to the service of ANY other aspect of this engine, but if you are looking to clean it out you could fill it with kerosene.

Mind you, this would need to be cleaned out perfectly or i could see it from keeping main bearings from getting proper lubrication, because it would wash any and all oil away i think.
but as a last measure attempt, not afraid of every external oil seal leaking, and wanna clean the ****** out?

Go ahead. Flush it with kerosense.

I was able to fit about 12 gallons in the crankcase of a LX5 V6, which is a V6 northstar essentially. Aluminum. I imagine a SBC could fit quite a bit.

I drained all the kerosene(get an oil sucker for this... drain plug was a BAD idea) and put oil in it, and turned it on.

It smoked for about 15 minutes just pure white clouds.

Oil was full of junk, too. Not just the kerosene.

Valvetrain was squeaky clean.

Still didnt have oil pressure, my last ditch effort failed.

So it didnt help me, but i didnt really think it would either. But it cleaned the **** out of the engine which i could see having A benefit somewhere, maybe not you tho

Taylorb27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Pull it down and give it a proper check over. How many miles has it done? Sludge can also build up from blow by of the piston rings, this engine might have run alright but may be getting a little tired. The exhaust ports look a little wet, how do the plugs look.
I would only be wanting to fit this engine once.

Plugs look normal and ports are wet from wd40 I sprayed inside of them.
Believe the pickup had 135k on it.
Planned on re ring, main and rod bearings and gaskets at the very least.

Mainly just seeing what you guys have done for heavy gunk and if it came out decent doing it diy. I've built 8 or 9 different ls motors and none of them have been this bad.

Taylorb27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I mean, not to the service of ANY other aspect of this engine, but if you are looking to clean it out you could fill it with kerosene.

Mind you, this would need to be cleaned out perfectly or i could see it from keeping main bearings from getting proper lubrication, because it would wash any and all oil away i think.
but as a last measure attempt, not afraid of every external oil seal leaking, and wanna clean the ****** out?

I was able to fit about 12 gallons in the crankcase of a LX5 V6, which is a V6 northstar essentially. Aluminum. I imagine a SBC could fit quite a bit.

I drained all the kerosene(get an oil sucker for this... drain plug was a BAD idea) and put oil in it, and turned it on.

So it didnt help me, but i didnt really think it would either. But it cleaned the **** out of the engine which i could see having A benefit somewhere, maybe not you tho

I might actually do this. At least to clean up to the valley.

Taylorb27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I may have over reacted a bit. Just got in from checking the mess out a little more. I had let wd40 sit on it overnight from last night and a rag wipes it right off.
A quick disassemble and some carb clean will work fine

illmanners

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
It all really depends on how the engine was maintained prior to you. Typically, a well maintained 5.3 (or any LS, for that matter,) is good for at least 250K before a rebuild is necessary. I have one Yukon that I bought with just over a 100K on the clock and it's still running strong with 314K on it. Mobil 1 full synthetic and Wix filter every 5000 miles. My point being if you intend to clean the engine properly, tear it down completely, and check all of the components that are oil lubricated. You may find that a good internal clean, new seals and gaskets are all that's necessary. Good Luck !!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502

There's a first for everything. And today marks the first time I've heard this.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
there are some good videos on youtube pertaining to engine cleaning. i would look there before deciding on a course of action. no need for a teardown in my humble opinion

Lil'm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
1979 1980
Truck Model
K10 shorts
Engine Size
I may have over reacted a bit. Just got in from checking the mess out a little more. I had let wd40 sit on it overnight from last night and a rag wipes it right off.
A quick disassemble and some carb clean will work fine

Starting fluid makes for a nice degreaser as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara