Tonneau covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
First accessory has to be tonneau cover and bedliner.
Considering the LMC listed on page 146.
Anyone have pics of their setup?
Is spray on bedliner the only option nowadays?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
My dad bought a '16 Dodge brand new that had a sprayed-in bedliner. We dropped and slid a 350 pound hoist onto it that caused NO DAMAGE AT ALL! Unfortunately, to date, I have not been able to get an answer on who makes that spray-on material.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Man I dunno about the bedliner options but I cant imagine that spray in is the only way. My 12 Ram has a factory spray in and its beefy. My old 03 ram had a factory drop in and it was also pretty well built.

As for the tonneau cover, my 03 had an Extang Tuff Tonno and I wouldnt recommend it because of its annoying to remove bow system and j channel hold down system which would be hard to get attached again if i needed to roll it up in the winter. There are much better options available today. My 12 Ram currently has a Truxedo Truxport and I am happy with its ease of use. Bows are woven into the tonneau fabric and its held down by hook and loop fabric. No issues in any temp.

I wouldnt limit my search to LMC either. I bought my tonneau from Auto Anything with a coupon.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think the biggest success factor in the spray in liners is just like paint, PREP WORK !!! The better it's prepped the better the quality and longevity. I do suggesting looking around at your local authorized spray in bed liner dealers though. I wish to hell I could remember the brand of the one we used at a local Chevy dealer. It wasn't Rhino, I know that much. But it was thick and finer than the Rhino.

It looked very sharp and wasn't near as pourous as Rhino but was tough. Though I do think Rhino has different textures now too. Rhino is a good product. But I like what we were getting done at that dealership. Very tough, and a finer finish that looked really nice and was about 1/8 in thick. It was so fine it looked like those no slip sandpaper style strips you see laid down and stuck to floors in factories and distribution centers on their loading ramps and such so your shoes and boots grip and you don't have accidents. Nice Finish.

Oh and Tonneau covers, if ever you one installed, DO NOT ever tow it backwards on a trailer or allow a tow driver to load it backwards on a rollback. Even strapped down, thinking he'd stop the wind from getting under it and ripping it off in 1 pc, they just break in half or thirds instead where ever you put the straps, at highway speeds if air gets under them.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Around here we also have Line-X which seem to do pretty well.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Line-X was one that also had a finer finish and looked good up close and personal.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
A friend at work that just picked up an 85 long bed bought a "Tonneau Pro" off of e-gay a couple of weeks ago. I just checked it out Thursday and it looks pretty good. Not really "secure" as far as locking or anything but looks good and for the most part keeps things in the bed dry. Just depends on what you are looking for.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, all those different systems have pro and cons and fit different situations. Some people like the snap on vinly. if you have a hard firbreglass cover from behind the cab to the tailgate, you won't be pick up a big fridge from Lowes.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Irwin Toyota in Laconia contracted someone to spray in Bedliner all the way over the top of the rails on dads' 2005 Toyota Tundra.
He has beaten the crap out of that truck for over 400,000 miles. Inside the bed looks just fine. The tailgate is long gone but that was an altercation with a loader and a 55gallon drum of diesel.
Not sure who did it but it wears like Iron.

If you were going to carry a lot of bricks rocks firewood etc that can dent the sheet metal I'd install an over-the-rails thick high density poly bedliner after the spray-on stuff was applied and cured. I'd make sure to spring for the coating over the rails. Poly doesn't dent so it'll tend to keep the sheet metal in one piece and the spray in stuff will protect the actual paint from the poly liner rubbing through to the metal.

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Is spray on bedliner the only option nowadays?

I had Line-X in my 2016 Ram. Looks nice and is durable. My son purchased a used 2005 Silverado that had it. After ten years of use it wore well, but was a little sun faded. The only thing I didn't like about the bed liners it it's hard to slide things in and out of the bed.

There's also the old school Zolatone. I used that in a '68 El Camino back in the day.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Line-X has really impressed me over the years. No matter what you haul, it will out last the bed itself.

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
I dont haul large objects,just mainly want to protect the bed from rust.
Very damp in ohio year round and most my vehicles sit outside.
I hate watching them decay.
I plan on building a pole building eventually,but every year they sit out,the rust takes its toll.

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
I should just have the complete vehicle line x coated.
:driver:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Dipped!

Sublime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
m
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
We use Raptor liner on CNG well trucks and equipment.