To convert to auto or not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waywaymiller

Reaction score
First Name
wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Proud owner of a 81 C10 with a factory 4sp manual. It's a very basic truck with the 350 small block no mods. No real reason to replace the trans but am seeing something leaking around the engine to trans connection. Even though it's not bad and not really hurting anything it does irritate me so will need to address. Since I will need to separate the engine and trans now would be a good time to reconsider if I want to keep the 4sp with the useless first gear or go to something else. My options:

Keep the current 4sp
Keep it a manual and upgrade to a 5-6sp
Convert to a auto with overdrive

First two options are the easiest
Auto conversion could be tricky, an considering a built 700r4, sounds like it would be the most cost effective and simplest to install.

My goals for the truck is tooling around town and some occasional towing.

What would you do??????

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Fix the leak and save your time and money for something worthwhile.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's most likely the rear main seal. If it's the original engine, it has a 2 piece rear main seal, that can be changed by dropping the oil pan.
I'd check for valve cover, intake manifold, and oil pressure fitting leaks first, though.

TIE_Fightertk06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1987s
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban Sierra Classic
Engine Size
350 TBI
Sorry the leak out and stay manual, in my opinion. Those granny gear four speeds are tough, but I get the agitation with them... There are definitely other four speeds and five speeds than can be swapped in, some that could be had for less than a built 700R4 and everything else that goes into the swap. Again, in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell