tire fitment??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
So I stopped by the 4x4 shop today to get a price on some wagon wheels, bright white. I currently run 10.50 x 31.00 on stock ralley wheels. I thought the stock ralley was 15x8x5.5 negative. The only wagons they had available were 15x7x6 negative.

Are the 15x10.50 o.k. on the narrower rim with .5 more negative? Stock suspension. I HATE!!! tires that rub. What do we all think?

thanx in advance
Eric

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I just randomly pulled up a 31 inch tire and the narrower width should be fine.

I can't answer on the additional offset, however.

You must be registered for see images attach

I wonder if the narrower rim really means you wind up .5 positive?
:think:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Iirc, the factory rallies are neutral offset, which puts the backspace measurement around 4.25".

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Thanx, Still on the fence a little on the rims. I really like the wagons as contrast to my soon to come new paint.
Eric

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's a picture of my old truck and no I didn't put the Pete emblem on it (Lol). This lift and tire/wheel combo was probably done in the early 80's. 4" lift with 33x12.50's and 15x10 wheels.

If the front fenders weren't trimmed they would have rubbed under flex. I'd be worried you may rub with a 10" wide wheel, even with 31's without a lift. The other issue would be is you tread would be about 2" narrower than the wheel width.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Here's a picture of my old truck and no I didn't put the Pete emblem on it (Lol). This lift and tire/wheel combo was probably done in the early 80's. 4" lift with 33x12.50's and 15x10 wheels.

If the front fenders weren't trimmed they would have rubbed under flex. I'd be worried you may rub with a 10" wide wheel, even with 31's without a lift. The other issue would be is you tread would be about 2" narrower than the wheel width.

So your vote is the 15x7 rims are prolly the right choice? I am getting them cheap enough that I am prolly going to pull the trigger and road test them. If they rub I am going to have them remount my rally wheels and offer the rims here or on epay.
Eric

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
So your vote is the 15x7 rims are prolly the right choice?

I actually like the Rally rims better. If I did the 8 spokes, I would be going with a look similar to the CHiP's truck. Trim rings, chrome center caps and some type of painted center. They are actual GM Dessert Fox package wheels, but the look could be easily copied. Photo #3.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
I am planning on fitting the factory chrome centers, and had not thought about the trim rings. Interesting notion, nice looking factory trim package.
Eric

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The wagon wheels like on the Desert Fox were optional on other trucks and years too. Also on the 2wd's. Although they had the center caps (same as the rally wheel) they didn't have the trim rings like the Desert Fox.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I actually like the Rally rims better. If I did the 8 spokes, I would be going with a look similar to the CHiP's truck. Trim rings, chrome center caps and some type of painted center. They are actual GM Dessert Fox package wheels, but the look could be easily copied.

The trim rings? Geek me out too but heck, it looks good!

The wagon wheels like on the Desert Fox were optional on other trucks and years too. Also on the 2wd's. Although they had the center caps (same as the rally wheel) they didn't have the trim rings like the Desert Fox.

Well I've been following this thread but haven't said anything mostly because I'm not a wagon wheel fan and didn't want to discourage the OP. I had a set years ago on another truck, the former owner had installed wheels that were totally wrong for hauling, and wagon wheels were the lowest cost thing I could get new. The look was ok, but not something I'd pick for the looks. With that said if I'd thought to pop chrome rings on..... Wow that looks so good. Totally changes the appearance of that style wheels and I like it!

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size

Wow, a 4" lift with 33's and you were rubbing? I have 35's with a 4" lift on my 78 K5. I do, however, have spacers. Maybe that's the difference.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Wow, a 4" lift with 33's and you were rubbing? I have 35's with a 4" lift on my 78 K5. I do, however, have spacers. Maybe that's the difference.

With the old Rancho lift it would have never rubbed. You mainly got frame flex... The Tuff County EZ Ride flexing would have caused rubbing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg