Timing on GM GoodWrench Crate Engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Am I seeing that timing tab at 12 o'clock? For some reason mine is at about 2 o'clock. This could be the problem?

Yes, as stated earlier in this thread, you need to verify mechanical TDC for the #1 cylinder to make sure you have the correct timing tab for the harmonic balancer you are running. Basically you put a special plug in the #1 spark plug hole and turn the engine over clockwise by hand until the piston makes contact with the plug and stops. You then put a mark on the harmonic balancer where it lines up with 0 on the timing tab. Then you turn the motor over counter clockwise until the piston makes contact with the plug again and stops. Then put another mark on the balancer where it lines up with 0 on the timing tab. Halfway between those two marks is the actual mechanical TDC of the #1 cylinder. If the cast in mark on the balancer is halfway between those marks, then everything is correct. If the cast in mark is pretty far off, you likely have the wrong timing tab(i.e. 12 o'clock instead of 2 o'clock or vise versa)

Brian Hatchell

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Folks - this is the best picture I can get. Mechanic installed a timing fork at around 2 o'clock. There is no timing fork at 12 o'clock.
You must be registered for see images attach

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Folks - this is the best picture I can get. Mechanic installed a timing fork at around 2 o'clock. There is no timing fork at 12 o'clock.
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm even more confused now... your mechanic installed a new timing tab, so it didn't have one before? How did anyone ever set the timing? Also, your mechanic didn't even clean off the crap where he was installing the new tab?

You need to find a vantage point to see the front of that tab that has the sawtooth marks on it to be able to read the timing with a light.

Brian Hatchell

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I'm even more confused now... your mechanic installed a new timing tab, so it didn't have one before? How did anyone ever set the timing? Also, your mechanic didn't even clean off the crap where he was installing the new tab?

You need to find a vantage point to see the front of that tab that has the sawtooth marks on it to be able to read the timing with a light.
You are correct. There was no timing tab when the vehicle was purchased. I won't be going to that mechanic again. It is going into a different shop on Monday.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
^this.

In reality, having timing marks in the wrong place doesn't mean the timing is actually off. If the state wants to be that strict about verifying timing is actually correct, they technically need to check the position of the pistons anyways. You could have timing marks that say you're 90deg off, but if the actual timing is correct, it's correct. That rule probably exists for the exact opposite reason, so people can't hop up the timing and just make the the timing marks appear normal. If the timing marks look right they'd want to verify that it's actually right like it says it is, that's what it sounds like it should be to me. The fact that they're gonna make some BS rule about verifying timing and then not even do anything to actually verify it is beyond ridiculous to me. Man oh man am I glad I do not live in California.

Holy crap I want to say that again, thank God I do not live in California... what a silly place. How in the world can you have a truck that is putting clean emissions out of the tailpipe (the entire reason emissions testing exists to prevent pollution) fail a test that is supposed to check the level of pollutants coming out of your exhaust just because some marks on the outside of the engine don't happen to line up with eachother when a flashy light is shined at them? Holy **** that makes my head spin, I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Personally if I were you I would consider burning down the entire state (fires seem really easy to spread there from what I see in the news) and move somewhere where it is possible to have normal human beings in charge of making reasonable rules...
Because the whole economy is based on buying new, not renovating the old(which is the true purpose of recycling). They ignore the pollution manufacturing causes, the pollution cause by electrical plants, the impact the batteries will cause when they have finished their life cycle, ect. Ca is built on unsustainability.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Wtf he installed it on the dirt?
No brake cleaner OR NOTHIN?

*head explodes*

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Brian Hatchell

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I wanted to give this thread closure. The timing was advanced 30 degrees and it looks like timing tab was removed, apparently to hide the failing engine. Compression test failed and at least two cylinders are scored. Thanks for being patient with me here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes