Time to start the 90 Blazer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don R

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
JIMMY
Engine Size
The Blazer was delivered Saturday. I spent the afternoon cleaning out trash and glass. Opened the hood....where do I even start? Looks like the previous owners began to pull the engine and quit.

Oh, no keys either...figures

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hmm, that’s a ‘96+ Vortec motor, 350 I’m assuming. I’m not gonna lie, it looks a bit rough in terms of the quality of work done and care it received. As far as the keys go, you’ll need to replace all the cylinders. Ignition is probably gonna be the least headache and most important for the purpose of getting it started. Then you’ve got the two doors and the rear window/tailgate. So no door key? That master cylinder looks pretty worrisome, and the way the electronic components are tossed around worries me about the condition of parts that aren’t visible. Hackery is what I’m getting at. You need a clutch, a fan, and the upper portion of the shroud, too. I’d clean all that junk out of there, and it should look a little less daunting. Once you’ve cleaned it up, replaced the ignition cylinder, at least put a cooling fan on and relocated the obstructions for the fan and shroud, I’d get to work on trying to start it. You’ll need a battery, of course, an oil and filter change, and fresh fuel at the minimum. You can worry about ignition and fuel system tuneups immediately after getting it started. If you can clean up the wiring and mounting of that stuff on the driver’s side, I’d just run the Vortec setup and ABS if the engine’s in decent shape. If it’s full of problems and gremlins that aren’t mechanical in nature, I’d re-TBI it (with the appropriate tuning for a better than TBI engine setup) or put a Quadrajet on there and be done with it. The heads are pretty well sought after so if the engine’s good, you’re already ahead. Do you have any background info on it? Maybe @gmachinz can give you some pointers on the wiring situation.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You've got your hands full with this one Don. So when do we gets pics of the 84 Jimmy and this 90 Blazer?

I noticed you've already done an Intro thread. So how about we make this one a build thread in the Under Construction section so that you can document your progress. A great way to think outloud and get other opinions or advice if you want it.

I'm almost thinking if the 90 Blazer doesn't have near the rust, why not use the 84 Jimmy for parts to resurrect the 90 Blazer? :shrug:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The Blazer was delivered Saturday. I spent the afternoon cleaning out trash and glass. Opened the hood....where do I even start? Looks like the previous owners began to pull the engine and quit.

Oh, no keys either...figures

That looks like loads of fun.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Welcome aboard.

It looks like the previous owner never finished installing a swap. Yank it and start over or at the very least get some wiring diagrams and verify the work, then check for any signs of leakage from the intake manifold gasket and replace if needed. Make sure that fuel pump in the tank can supply a vortec 350, (i believe its 55-60psi). Open throttle body and open master cylinder are red flags for me considering all of the leaves and possible moisture/water ingestion. If it were me, I would pull the intake manifold and have a look around. You'll have peace of mind and a new gasket. I would also flush that brake system out completely. Change the rest of the fluids and see if she will start with a hotwire or remote starter switch. Looks like a fun project that shouldnt take much to get running.

I dont think theres a way of knowing if the PCM was tuned but if it wasnt then your Blazer wont stay running due to VATS. Try and find that out, also see if you can find out what vehicle the engine came from so if it isnt tuned you can send the PCM off for that.

Did they claim it once drove or did you buy it is a non running project?

Side note, did they install the engine with a seatbelt????

Start a build thread and post pics!!!

Don R

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
JIMMY
Engine Size
Thanks for all the great advice. I spent a lot of time cleaning as the pics indicate. I got this for the parts but it looks so cool with the 84 Jimmy and my 71 Jeep J2000 I was/May keep it, but any build is on hold. The previous owner slipped me a bad title so who knows what will happen.

I agree, the motor must be a swap, seatbelt used to lift it. Lol. I'll pull it and start from scratch. The floor pan is in pretty bad shape and rockers. Just time and money.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL