1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Story Ol' Blue

Discussion in '4wd Pick-Ups K10 K1500 V10 V1500' started by MylesNT, Nov 4, 2013.

1. dtch

dtch Junior Member

First Name:
    Russell
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20
    Engine Size:
    Just read the whole build. I think it's amazing what you've done here. Especially all the little details like painting the mirrors white and trying to get the exact right window cranks. Keep up the good work, man.

2. MylesNT

MylesNT Local Info Bum

First Name:
    Myles
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Scottsdale
    Engine Size:
    Thank you! Those mirrors are going to be the death of me. I really should just go buy some stainless ones but I just can't make myself. I keep thinking that I will be able to find a pair somewhere.

While I'm here I might as well give a little update. If you haven't been by the "Post your Interior" thread, Ol' Blue's is pretty much back together. We still need a dash cover and new flooring. Been eyeing some of the vinyl flooring from RockAuto, because it comes in light blue. I want some of those nifty metal speaker boxes that dude makes for the cab corner of these trucks so that I can slide the seat all the way back.

The engine is running good and aside from a noise in the front hub, everything else is doing good too. I got the vents for both axles, transmission and transfer case installed, with the right vent caps. The transfer case and transmission didn't have the vent caps originally, but fuck dirt daubers. If I don't put something on there the little bastards will stop up my vents. That's what has happened to the front diff, and I'm having a hard time clearing it. Couldn't get it from the top so I thought I'd try from the inside, can't even see it. Since I had a new ring and pinion put in, I wanted to change the oil anyway.

Anyway, some pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And check out this old seat cover dad had in storage. I know it's not the right color, but it says old school and will save the vinyl from burning my ass when the weather turns hot.

[​IMG]

Stay tuned.

3. bigcountry78

bigcountry78 Full Access Member

First Name:
    James
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Custom Deluxe
    Engine Size:
    Looking good!

MylesNT likes this.
  4. MylesNT

MylesNT Local Info Bum

First Name:
    Myles
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Scottsdale
    Engine Size:
    I finally gave in on the mirrors. Kind of. @78C10BigTen cut me a good deal on a set of the original style mirrors. After a little looking, I reckon you can paint stainless, long as you use a self etching primer. We're going to see, eventually, but for now I'm just going to enjoy having some mirrors.

Check 'em.

[​IMG]

I drive Ol' Blue every chance I get when I'm off work, but the other day, I had to call on her. She was there, ready and waiting. My primary and secondary modes of transportation were down, and I needed to get to work. So I fired up Ol' Blue and went on my way. It's 25 miles each way, and although she'd been in that parking lot many times before, it'd been over 30 years since she'd been there and over 10 since she had been on a trip that far one way.

She did just fine, but I am truly in awe at how much fuel this truck can burn. I'd filled it up prior, but it wasn't past full, just on it. Two trips to work, one trip back and on the second trip home I had to stop and fill up before I headed home, because I was just a couple clicks above empty. Wow.

When I woke up a little while later, it was sitting on the rim. Evidently, I broke a valve stem on the way home, but Ol' blue got me home before she laid down.

Another quick story. On a trip to town today, while enjoying my new mirrors, it smelled like somebody dumped a gallon of antifreeze in the cab. I figured it wasn't good, so I put eyes on the heat hand. Sure enough, she was climbing. I was about 1/4 mile from the gas station, so I limped her on in and shut it down. A trail of coolant followed us. A look under the hood revealed that the bottom radiator hose had blown off.

A friends uncle pulled in right next to me and leant me a screwdriver and some water. I tightened the hose back up but I wasn't happy with how far back on the tank neck it was so I eased home, swapped vehicles and adjusted it when it cooled off.

Anyway, time marches on.

DoubleDingo and 78C10BigTen like this.
  5. MylesNT

MylesNT Local Info Bum

First Name:
    Myles
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Scottsdale
    Engine Size:
    Y'all might remember a couple months ago I bought me some new fenders for Ol' Blue. I bought them as OEM, well turns out they weren't. They were pretty rough, but I figured they'd work for me. I've been putting off painting them for a while. I'm glad I did.

Early in the year when I bought the winch, there was a truck there that I wanted the fenders off of badly. They had been sold, just not picked up. Well, I saw the cab pop up on Craigslist again, so I called. Evidently the guy who had bought the front clip restores squarebodys as a hobby. He bought the front clip, never picked it up and then decided to go another way. So he sold it. To me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my wife wanted this '64 tailgate for a bench.

[​IMG]

Aside from the one dent, they are perfect. No rust at all. They are still aftermarket, but I knew that buying them. I didn't realize they weren't OEM until I got there, but I was beginning to question whether I wanted to put really nice OEM fenders on a farm truck. Problem solved. The clip I bought came with an extra core support that is in better shape than the one in it. You can see it's still rusted through, but I think it might be salvageable.

I'm glad the guy doesn't live closer to me, because I'd be by once a week. He probably has a dozen squares in various states of parting out. I also snagged another glove box that is even the right color.

I'm looking forward to getting the fenders painted up and on the truck.

Stay tuned.

Old77 likes this.
  6. MylesNT

MylesNT Local Info Bum

First Name:
    Myles
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Scottsdale
    Engine Size:
    The double cardan joint came apart a few weeks ago, but I just got around to diagnosing it today. I just pulled the driveshaft for the time being. I also got around to putting on this funny little sticker I bought for it a while back.

[​IMG]

And one more thing, I bought it. It's not dad's truck anymore. It's MY truck.

Hell yeah.

bucket, bigcountry78 and DoubleDingo like this.
  7. bigcountry78

First Name:
    James
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Custom Deluxe
    Engine Size:
    Hey I see that you have your exhaust coming out in front of the rear tire. I’m thinking about doing this but I can’t envision how it clears the frame and gas tank. Would you mind snapping a couple pictures of that?

8. MylesNT

MylesNT Local Info Bum

First Name:
    Myles
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Scottsdale
    Engine Size:
    Got you man. Was raining here today, and the Tide was playing so I don’t have them but I’ll get them up Monday at the latest.

bigcountry78 likes this.
  9. idahovette

idahovette Full Access Member

First Name:
    Perry
    Truck Year:
    1975-1979
    Truck Model:
    K20-K10
    Engine Size:
    Tide didn't roll, Sorry

10. MylesNT

MylesNT Local Info Bum

First Name:
    Myles
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Scottsdale
    Engine Size:
    No they did not. Fun game anyway. Hate seeing that many penalties and wtf was that call before the half? Sun will still come up tomorrow I reckon.

11. idahovette

idahovette Full Access Member

First Name:
    Perry
    Truck Year:
    1975-1979
    Truck Model:
    K20-K10
    Engine Size:
    Sometimes the Zebras need to let em play!!

MylesNT likes this.
  12. MylesNT

MylesNT Local Info Bum

First Name:
    Myles
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Scottsdale
    Engine Size:
    @bigcountry78

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know they're kind of blown out but it's the best that I can do. If there's any specific angles you'd like just let me know.

bigcountry78 likes this.
  13. bigcountry78

First Name:
    James
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Custom Deluxe
    Engine Size:
    They’re just what I was looking for. I just couldn’t visualize how the pipes cleared everything. I see you have glass packs as well. They take up less room than my chambered flow masters. That helps with clearing everything.

14. MylesNT

MylesNT Local Info Bum

First Name:
    Myles
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Scottsdale
    Engine Size:
    Glad I could help. I have a problem with my parking brake cable rubbing against the mufflers and piping in a few places. Makes a terrible noise. Part of the problem was that the parking brake wasn’t hooked up when the exhaust was installed. Although they look like glass packs they aren’t a straight through muffler so they are bigger in diameter than a glass pack so a real glass pack should fit better.

They’re what I had laying around. I’m going to put some glass packs on one day.

bigcountry78 likes this.