TH400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SqauredSon

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey guys I recently put a new motor in my 85 Scottsdale. The transmission will shift 1-3 fine for a while, almost like clock work it will down shift into 2nd and won’t shift. I changed the vacuum modulator and put a new governor in. I don’t want to spend the money for a new tranny when it could be something simple.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Are you saying once it gets hot it won’t shift out of 2nd gear, or it will downshift on it’s ouw and stay there?

SqauredSon

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When it gets warm it will down shift into second and stays there. If I manually put it into N then back to drive it will be in third temporarily then downshift on it’s own back to second. I read a few things about a kickdown switch under the pedal, not sure if there’s any coralation.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Unplug the lockdown connector on the drivers side of the transmission. If that solves the issue (unlikely) you know the issue is with the lockdown switch or wiring. Next, pull the govenor back out, make sure the bore the govenor spins in isn’t chewed up. If so, you will either need to find another case or have that one torn down and a govenor sleeve repair installed. Next, remove the pan. Make sure all the valve body bolts are tight and the lockdown solenoid is tight. If you have another solenoid to try, maybe you will get lucky.

Are you sure the vacuum hose is in good condition, no kinks, pinholes, etc?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg