Th400 slipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nolan M

Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
So I just bought a 1984 c30 knowing it was missing reverse. I drove it home (about 30 miles) with no problem just riding in second at 40 mph because it had bad tires. Replaced the tires and took it for a drive. It shifted fine between 1 and 2 but wouldn’t go to 3, checked the trans fluid and added about a quart. After that it would go to a neutral when you got to 45 mph. I’m guessing it’s slipping.

I bought a new vacuum modulator as someone said it could be the issue. After installing that, it only has first gear and will slip in first at about 15 mph. Any advice would be so helpful

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Direct and reverse use the same clutch pack in a 400. AFAIK it's the "common" failure on them. Although it's not a failure prone transmission. Unless it's mine.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Low/Reverse Clutch pack OR the Low/Reverse band. Chances are it's the Clutch pack though since the Low/Reverse Band is needed to make Reverse and Give manual 1st gear engine braking but not needed for manual first pulling.

Last edited:

Nolan M

Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Hey guys, sorry I'm so late getting back to y'all but i put a new tranny in and now every gear works fine. Thank you for the help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg