th400 noise,no power at startup then fine????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akraven

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
I have a 90 Suburban that when it starts up has a "whirring" type noise like low fluid and if put in gear doesn't move. It lasts around 15 secs in the summer and 30 secs in the winter then is absolutely fine. It only does it when it been sitting for a day or two. I had a torques convertor go bad about two years ago and had it checked over while that was swapped and tranny shop reported the rest of it was in great shape. Fluid level is fine and fluid looks clean red with no discoloration or burnt smell.
Any ideas would be appreciated before I go to a shop.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I have a 90 Suburban that when it starts up has a "whirring" type noise like low fluid and if put in gear doesn't move. It lasts around 15 secs in the summer and 30 secs in the winter then is absolutely fine. It only does it when it been sitting for a day or two. I had a torques convertor go bad about two years ago and had it checked over while that was swapped and tranny shop reported the rest of it was in great shape. Fluid level is fine and fluid looks clean red with no discoloration or burnt smell.
Any ideas would be appreciated before I go to a shop.

Check that the filter pick-up tube is tightly seated in the valve body and that the o-ring (s) is/are good. You know how loose those filters are - I always think they can work the tube out of its seated position in the VB.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

akraven

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
Thank you Chengny I will give that a try this weekend.
Thank you Charlie. Been lurking for awhile and finally had something to post.:)

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Disclaimer: I'm no tranny expert but my TH400 had a similar problem after I installed a shift kit. My buddy told me there is a plunger on a spring that goes into the valve body (told you I'm no expert) and to take it out, run some ultra fine sandpaper VERY lightly around the edge of the rubber "cup" and it would stop that. He said some of them don't move easily. Like I said before, I'm no expert so try it at your own risk. Might be worth a try. You can at least make sure it's moving in it's bore smoothly. Hope this helps.

akraven

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
Well the holiday weekend was too busy with family to get anything done. trukman1 do youknow which plunger that might be? I too am no tranny expert and wouldn't want to blindly want to wander around in there. Thanks!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Check that the filter pick-up tube is tightly seated in the valve body and that the o-ring (s) is/are good. You know how loose those filters are - I always think they can work the tube out of its seated position in the VB.
Did you ever get this fixed @akraven ??? I'm with Chengny on this. It does sound like it's dropped the filter and or tube, or not sealing at the O ring tube.

akraven

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
Resurecting this post to tell you that the tranny did eventually fail. Sorry to take so long to get back to this. According to the tranny shop it was a failing pump making the noise.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I've never seen this post until now, but that was my immediate assumption. Failing pump

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

akraven

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
I've never seen this post until now, but that was my immediate assumption. Failing pump

:) Where you when I needed you Vbb199? ;)

Lucky it failed in town not out on the road so all is well other than my wallet. Had them use HD parts and added a temp guage.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
:) Where you when I needed you Vbb199? ;)

Lucky it failed in town not out on the road so all is well other than my wallet. Had them use HD parts and added a temp guage.
I don't belive I was a member when this was posted haha.
But I'm glad you got it taken care of!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRed82k20