TH350 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Next month I'll be installing the TH350 and just had a couple small questions...

First, where would be a good place to mount a temperature gauge? In-line with some kind of adapter made for it? Or ??
Second, What is the normal operating temperature?
Third, what is considered borderline "too warm"/time to pull over and let it cool down?
Fourth, and I dont think there is any difference but would a transmission temperature gauge be any different than a water temp gauge?

Want to have all my ducks in a row when I start in on it. Thanks in advance.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully Hotrod will know. :popcorn:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well, my 700r4 generally is around 170-180 degrees if I'm not pushing it too hard. It runs cooler in the winter, but the cooler is not plumbed through the radiator. I let it cool down if it starts getting up around 220*, by either parking it, or just take it easy until the temp comes down.

Most guys like to run the temp sender in the pan. I run mine in the pressure test port, just because it was easier.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I didn't know you could plumb a temp gauge into one of the pressure test ports. I like that much better than in the pan.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I didn't know you could plumb a temp gauge into one of the pressure test ports. I like that much better than in the pan.

The sender that came with the gauge was the right size to screw right in without any adapters. You have to check for a depth issue though, the probe on the sensor was close to bottoming out on something in the tranny.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
If you see 250 you will have already damaged the friction material. The test pressure port can be used, I have placed them in the pressure line going to the cooler; although those did not have factory lines.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Which line is the pressure line and which is the return? It's probably in my book, but I figured it'd be good info to have on here.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This is some generic info right here on GMSB. It should help answer your questions.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1606

And most do put temp guage in the pan and have it double as a drainplug, The pressure port works too. In your case, I'd use the pressure port. The pan might be to low and you get the line snagged on stump or rock and rip it out. Or, maybe you should consider and electric guage so worse case, it only rips your wire off and not the rip the sending unit out of the pan. Maybe even do the electric in the pressure port. Pretty sure its the electric sender that does fit the pressure port anyway.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Hard to tell from that cartoon but it looks like the bottom port is the output?? And I assume the pressure ports are the ones where the 3 pipe plugs are? And 220F is the temperature where it's time to pull over and cool the trans down. I looked up some trans temp gauges and they are a little different than water temp gauges. I was looking at this one for the trans temp...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SWW-122269/
Electric sending unit means I can run the wire along with the 4wd indicator light wire up out of harm's way down the top of the trans. Mechanical worries me, especially about ripping the tube off and bleeding the trans out on the trail.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Mechanical worries me, especially about ripping the tube off and bleeding the trans out on the trail.

Yes, kinda why I suggested the electric in the pressure port.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I forgot to tell you guys, wife and I were ready to celebrate our 19th anniversary with a nice grilled steak dinner the other evening when the phone rings. It was one of my buddies who proceeded to tell me him and another buddy was 4 wheelin when the 2nd buddy (Rick)'s Cherokee quit running. So 1st guy (Ted) thought he would pull him out the trail to a better place to try to work on it in his 4runner. Long story short, 4runner cut a tire and blew a brake line and now both of em was up **** creek without a paddle lol. Ted is the kinda guy to cry wolf so I had to ******** with him a while just be sure it was legit.

By the time I got there they found a bolt to put in Ted's tire to slow the leak, and he just drove in 4-lo and used gear braking to get by out to the "party spot" while I pulled the Cherokee. Once we got there Rick discovered his gas tank was barely hanging on, and had 2 cut wires. After wiring them back up not only did his Jeep run but his gas gauge that hadnt worked in a long time started working lol. For the 4runner I couldnt convince Ted to use my tire plug kit, so we traced down the busted rear brake line and clamped a pair of vice grips on it just till he could get it home.

There is a really steep hill getting down off the pipeline so I put a tow strap on the back of the 4runner and hooked the other end to the front of mine, and ran 4-lo 1st gear (granny gear) and let him down the hill. I barely even had to hit the brakes we were creeping so slow! Once we got him down we topped off his master cylinder and followed him home. Moral of the story: I hope like hell I'm not going to regret swapping from the SM465 to the TH350!!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ohhh, I thought the moral of the story was going to be, your wife got pissed because on your anniversary night, you split to go help buds and ended up not getting laid !!

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
She went with me and when I was on the throttle going up the steep hill she said "Never a dull moment with you!!" LOL

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What about the steak dinner? :roflbow:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
She went with me and when I was on the throttle going up the steep hill she said "Never a dull moment with you!!" LOL

I'd showed her never a dull moment. I'da found me a quiet spot in the woods, and had her in the back of the truck bent over the roll bar !!! She'd be calling in the Coyotes !! ANd then say Happy Anniversary !!! Women love that **** Dawg !!! :grd:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84