Th350 not going into gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j_dog00

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7l 350
Ok guys, I had an earlier post dealing with my torque converter to flexplate bolts, 1 out of the 3 bolts is still broke off on the torque converter and is NOT actually connecting the flexplate to the TC. Stupid question here guys, could the absence of the 1 bolt be causing my tranny to not go into any gear? Fluid levels are good, shift linkage is good, everything is bolted up and good. Except for the 1 bolt..could this be causing a slipage or causing it not to grab?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
The slots lock into the pump, where the arrows are is most likely where its broken. You would need to remove it to find out though.

You must be registered for see images attach

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Easiest way to check if the pump is actually doing anything I’d to check the fluid level after it’s Ben sitting overnight. As the converter drains, it’s drains into the pan. It should show over full, and then drop once you start the truck and the converter and cooler fill back up. Next easiest methods, and will leave zero doubt that the pump is working, is to loosen a cooler line, and then start the truck assuming there is fluid in it, and the pump works, you should get fluid from the line. No fluid flow, no pump, no movement.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
As the converter drains, it’s drains into the pan. It should show over full, and then drop once you start the truck and the converter and cooler fill back up.

I never knew why you checked the AT fluid hot and running. I never hotrodded any car with an AT so I just followed the book on any street AT cars. Never really gave much thought to it.

My bad. :emotions133::owned:

j_dog00

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7l 350
78 c10 thank you! I'm taking it off today I will be taking pictures! I'm pretty sure you are correct

j_dog00

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7l 350
So I can't get to pulling it today but I did take the vacuum pump module and ordered another one. We'll see Tuesday if it's bad or not.

j_dog00

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7l 350

j_dog00

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7l 350
Sorry for the duplicates, also keep in mind one of the flexplate to TC bolts is gone.

j_dog00

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7l 350
So I took the starter off and tightened the engine block to transmission bolts.I checked all other bolts in this area..every thing seems good and tight. Also keep in mind one of my TC to Flexplate bolts is still missing.In the picture you can see one new bolt with a gold head and nut, there is one more exactly like it..and I am still trying to get the last bolt out to replace it.

After i tightened all the bolts that i could, I fired it up and it engaged through all the gears!. I then turned it off, cleaned up a bit. Tried it again and nothing! Literally 5 minutes after it wouldn't engage! All Fluid levels are checked and ok. The knocking noise from the TC went away after i changed the 2 TC to Flexplate bolts..which leads me to believe it is functioning properly and maybe the last bolt isn't the main issue.

Interesting side note, I pulled a vacuum line and had my buddy take his finger on and off to test that part.I put it in drive while he did this..WHEN HE PLUGGED THE LINE WITH HIS FINGER THE TRANSMISSION ENGAGED,, truck would roll forward..but only with one of the lines plugged..is this my tranny vacuum module?? I have a new one on the way..

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!! You're extremely helpful I will take any and all responses!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uberbeans