TH350 detent cable adjust - new cable is different, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
83 C-20 with TH350 transmission.
The old detent cable is shot so i bought a new one online.
Problem is, it's different from the old one and I don't know how to adjust it properly the first time.
See pix of cables.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
With it installed, you set the barrel clamp so that there's no slack in the cable. The idea is to have the cable start to pull as soon as you open the throttle. However, if it prevents the throttle from being fully opened, set the barrel clamp to where it provides just enough slack for full throttle operation.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
You might be able to make it work, but I think they sold you the wrong cable for a TH350 detent/kickdown. The stock TH350 cable has a square plastic fitting that snaps into the OEM bracket. Once installed, you pull up on the tab on the fitting, pull the cable to full throttle, and snap the tab back down to set the max throttle position. This video shows how it should look.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Maybe they sold you the throttle cable?

Bruce

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You might be able to make it work, but I think they sold you the wrong cable for a TH350 detent/kickdown. The stock TH350 cable has a square plastic fitting that snaps into the OEM bracket. Once installed, you pull up on the tab on the fitting, pull the cable to full throttle, and snap the tab back down to set the max throttle position. This video shows how it should look.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Maybe they sold you the throttle cable?

Bruce

It's the older style detent cable. Other than the barrel clamp for adjustment purposes, it's the same type as original, seen in the top photo.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I was able to install the new cable today.
The old one was so bad I had to cut the cable off at the plastic part that bolts to the tranny, and had to drop the crossmember and pan to get the linkage free from the old housing.
I think it's adjusted correctly, but it does feel funny when I move the cable manually at the carburetor before being hooked to the carb itself.
Tomorrow I have to make a big city trip and it'll give me a chance to get to a paved road (it's 5 miles of horrible dirt road to get there) then I can get a test of how it's going to work, whether or not it kicks down prematurely, too late, or not at all.
I will post the results of the test drive tomorrow evening when I get home.
THANK YOU guys for all your inputs and advice !!!

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
REPORT: up to about 45-50 mph I stomp the gas pedal, it kicks into passing gear and the truck hauls ass rapidly as it should.
Above 50, there is no kickdown happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hugger-4641