Temp Sender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
I'm thinking about moving my temp sender from the side of the head to the intake manifold on my 85 C10. I have an aluminum intake that will accept the the sender. This will be easier to get to. Any thoughts?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
In applications like when you have tbi or efi, IMO it's better to put the ECM's temp sensor on the head, because the water in the head never really see's a spike in cold water (thermostat opening) like it does at the intake...

But in my. Opinion, since you're running a carb, seems logical to put it in the intake, easier to get to.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'm thinking about moving my temp sender from the side of the head to the intake manifold on my 85 C10. I have an aluminum intake that will accept the the sender. This will be easier to get to. Any thoughts?
are you looking to use the port on the side of the head for another purpose or to clean up the engine or headers, etc. I second vbb but for a different reason, routing on top the engine is more logical wire loom wise than along side of valve cover and manifolds/headers, i managed to sandwich that wire under a valve cover :(

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Mines on drivers side head. Very easy to get to and more accurate than intake imo.
I LEFT MINE WHERE THE GODS THAT ARE ENGINEERS PUT IT.
But it is the best place as far as no-reason-to-move-it-and-its-accurate

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502

If it's at the intake, when then thermostat opens, the sensor suddenly gets a big rush of cold water.

In fuel injection, that's no good, it ***** up the idle.

The "Gods" put the ECM's temp sensor from the factory on the intake. I beg to disagree with them.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If it's at the intake, when then thermostat opens, the sensor suddenly gets a big rush of cold water.

In fuel injection, that's no good, it ***** up the idle.

The "Gods" put the ECM's temp sensor from the factory on the intake. I beg to disagree with them.
They put carb on head but FI on intake?????

Damnit, I shouldnt doubt my instincts. Just like when the GM engineers decided a 1/4 inch drain hose for a sunroof should terminate in a panel behind a splash shield where dirt collects to cause rust, and the termination of the hose is a pin hole rather than the whole 1/4.

I really dont like the fact they make way more than me, when I fixed their million dollar decision with a wire cutter.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
They put carb on head but FI on intake?????

Damnit, I shouldnt doubt my instincts. Just like when the GM engineers decided a 1/4 inch drain hose for a sunroof should terminate in a panel behind a splash shield where dirt collects to cause rust, and the termination of the hose is a pin hole rather than the whole 1/4.

I really dont like the fact they make way more than me, when I fixed their million dollar decision with a wire cutter.

No.
Fuel injection uses a SENDER and a SENSOR.

The sensor (used by the ECM) is on the intake, in sender (for your instrument cluster) is on the head.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
No ECM or fuel injection on this truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
No.
Fuel injection uses a SENDER and a SENSOR.

The sensor (used by the ECM) is on the intake, in sender (for your instrument cluster) is on the head.
doesntthat seem counter intuitive to put the one the ECM uses on the intake tho, like you said

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305

Being a machinist I can tell you engineers aren't always right. Guess who gets to find out it don't work and gets to fix it.

You might like to take your temp rectally but, I don't like that location. Guess it's all preference. Do what you like tho.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
doesntthat seem counter intuitive to put the one the ECM uses on the intake tho, like you said

That is the sending unit that is offered for these vehicles now. They have the blade terminal riveted on instead of the other pole type with the groove.

The one pictured is the original one from the 6.2.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Being a machinist I can tell you engineers aren't always right. Guess who gets to find out it don't work and gets to fix it.

You might like to take your temp rectally but, I don't like that location. Guess it's all preference. Do what you like tho.
I can make you like it, freedom eagle man

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
That is the sending unit that is offered for these vehicles now. They have the blade terminal riveted on instead of the other pole type with the groove.

The one pictured is the original one from the 6.2.

You can get either one. I have the original style ac delco g1852 /gm#12334869 like the one pictured that came in my head. Got it from summit. It even came with a terminal cap in case yours is worn out and loose.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I had my sending unit in the head for years, and then moved it to the intake because my new aluminum heads had a smaller threaded fitting for the sending unit.

Despite all the “wisdom” I read about the two locations, I do not really see any observable difference in the dash gauge. I can certainly see a small temp drop as the thermostat opens up, but it’s only about 5 degrees and the drop in temp lasts for about a minute or less if I’m driving at road speed. YMMV

Bruce