technique for emblem replacement on 85?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turbobuick1

Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.8L
Hi guys! For an 85 C10, I’m getting ready to replace the front fender emblems. They’re in poor shape and I have no interest in saving them.

I’m trying to avoid removing the fenders, and it doesn’t look like you can get to the backside, but possibly if the inner fenders are removed.

Anyway, I’m wondering if anyone has had luck breaking off the old emblem, and using barrel nut inserts when installing the new emblems?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Mine look like they’re riveted in but I may be mistaken or it might not be the original fastener.

If riveted, drill them out and re-rivet.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's a picture from eBay. You can see there are nuts on the back side. Taking out the inner wells and maybe removing the bottom fender bolts will give you full access. IIRC the 73-80 used barrel nuts for the emblems. You would probably have to drill out the holes in the fenders to make them work as I believe the pins for 81-87 emblems are pretty snug fitting due to the fact they use nuts to retain them. Any slop would have put the emblem at an angle.

You must be registered for see images attach

turbobuick1

Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.8L
Here's a picture from eBay. You can see there are nuts on the back side. Taking out the inner wells and maybe removing the bottom fender bolts will give you full access. IIRC the 73-80 used barrel nuts for the emblems. You would probably have to drill out the holes in the fenders to make them work as I believe the pins for 81-87 emblems are pretty snug fitting due to the fact they use nuts to retain them. Any slop would have put the emblem at an angle.

Thank you Craig, that’s exactly the info I’m looking for! I had read about the barrel nuts on another forum, but realize that must apply only to 70s square bodies. I’ll use your info tonight to tackle the project after work.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
My old c10 i removed the emblems 30 years ago and to the best of my recollection with a hammer and screwdriver. expect some minor body damage. shouldn't be an issue if you are putting on new emblems. i think you can get to the front nuts with an extension and a swively or a wrench if you remove the inner fenders.the rear nuts you have to pull the front end or brake them. Another option would be use a cut off wheel or drill and grind through the face of the emblem where the stud is and push the stud and nut through the back.take you time so you dont burn the paint and you should have no body damage.. On my current truck i removed them while the fenders were off the truck and used barrel nuts to replace them after painting ( 3/16 stud x 7/32 hole ) . found them on ebay from a company called yearonemuclecarproducts $9.90 the look and work fine but don't pull down 100% you can slide a business card behind them. over all im happy with them. mine is a 77 so the size may be different on your 85

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350

73-80 used nuts to hold them on i dont think the factory ever used barrel nuts on any of them

turbobuick1

Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.8L
My old c10 i removed the emblems 30 years ago and to the best of my recollection with a hammer and screwdriver. expect some minor body damage. shouldn't be an issue if you are putting on new emblems. i think you can get to the front nuts with an extension and a swively or a wrench if you remove the inner fenders.the rear nuts you have to pull the front end or brake them. Another option would be use a cut off wheel or drill and grind through the face of the emblem where the stud is and push the stud and nut through the back.take you time so you dont burn the paint and you should have no body damage.. On my current truck i removed them while the fenders were off the truck and used barrel nuts to replace them after painting ( 3/16 stud x 7/32 hole ) . found them on ebay from a company called yearonemuclecarproducts $9.90 the look and work fine but don't pull down 100% you can slide a business card behind them. over all im happy with them. mine is a 77 so the size may be different on your 85

This is also very helpful, thank you. I’m also considering the grinding/drilling through carefully, push through the pins, and maybe use 3m double sided emblem tape? Appreciate the responses guys.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
3M tape probably won't work unless you don't use the black liners behind the emblem. They protect the body from the emblem and extend past it about an 1/8th of an inch.

You must be registered for see images

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
3M tape probably won't work unless you don't use the black liners behind the emblem. They protect the body from the emblem and extend past it about an 1/8th of an inch.

You must be registered for see images
Or you could use the double sided tape on the black liner to the fender and then on the emblem to the black liner. The lip on the liner might hide the thickness of the adhesive. Or maybe glue the the emblem to the liner and use the foam tape to attach the now one piece emblem/liner to the fender.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I used 3M double sided tape and it worked well.

turbobuick1

Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.8L
I ended up using double sided 3m tape like shorty81.....worked perfectly! I’ve been putting a ton of miles and driving 70-75 down the highway, and went through an automatic car wash and the emblems are there to stay. I bought a set of reproduction emblems on eBay (gorgeous btw) and chose to not use the thin black spacer on the backside. Here are some pics. One pic is how I laid the tape on the backside of the emblem. I used an angle grinder and carefully ground through the old emblems above the pins, until I could break the emblem off the fender.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I ended up using double sided 3m tape like shorty81.....worked perfectly! I’ve been putting a ton of miles and driving 70-75 down the highway, and went through an automatic car wash and the emblems are there to stay. I bought a set of reproduction emblems on eBay (gorgeous btw) and chose to not use the thin black spacer on the backside. Here are some pics. One pic is how I laid the tape on the backside of the emblem. I used an angle grinder and carefully ground through the old emblems above the pins, until I could break the emblem off the fender.

Yeah I admit that's more sane than JB Weld..(yes I did and it worked)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK