1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TBI rebuild completed!

Discussion in 'TBI & EFI Conversions' started by Matt Buffington, Apr 20, 2020.

  1. Matt Buffington

    Matt Buffington Junior Member

    Posts:
    21
    Likes Received:
    8
    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2020
    Location:
    Maryland
    First Name:
    Matt
    Truck Year:
    1990
    Truck Model:
    Chevrolet Suburban 1500, 4x4
    Engine Size:
    5.7 L
    Hi everyone,

    Happy Monday!

    I successfully rebuilt the TBI on our 1990 suburban over the weekend! Wow, what a difference. I recommend do this for anyone with a TBI that's running a little wonky. It's not hard, and not expensive. Plenty of great demos on youtube, etc.

    A couple things came up. First, after the reinstall, I could not adjust base idle below 1160. This is still a mystery. While pursuing the idle problem, the following day, I found the drivers side injector leaking badly on the top. After searching around about this, I determined the upper 0-ring was leaking. Upon removal, this brand new 0-ring was totally split! Then I find out I should have lubed it with ATF or equivalent prior to install to seat it properly....well, we live and learn. After securing new 0-rings, and lubing prior to install, the thing runs perfectly....and I could set base idle without an issue.

    Happy Motoring!

    IMG_8576.jpg

    IMG_8582.jpg

    IMG_8584.jpg

    IMG_8586.jpg

    IMG_8589.jpg
     
    The88, bucket and Rusty Nail like this.
  2. Bright Idea

    Bright Idea Member

    Posts:
    34
    Likes Received:
    11
    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2019
    Location:
    Scappoos, OR
    First Name:
    Mike
    Truck Year:
    1990
    Truck Model:
    V 2500 Suburbans
    Engine Size:
    5.7
    I am about to do the same thing. The manual I have talks about regulator adjustment. Obviously you replaced the regulator internals. Is there any regulator adjustment ? Di you replace the injectors ?
     
  3. diesel_lv

    diesel_lv Member

    Posts:
    32
    Likes Received:
    5
    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2017
    Location:
    AZ
    First Name:
    John
    Truck Year:
    1987
    Truck Model:
    K5
    Engine Size:
    350
    I rebuilt my '87 3 yrs ago. Went through 4 packs of O-rings because I was using grease or something. It needs to be automatic transmission fluid. Once I used that, they slid right in. I replaced fuel pump and put in spring that raises fuel pressure to what it actually needs. Unfortunately now i need to replace throttle shaft seals, they have worn and bleed air in so idle increases sometimes. Anyone doing this just make sure you use ATF on the injector O-rings.
     
    The88 and Rusty Nail like this.
  4. Rusty Nail

    Rusty Nail Whatever!

    Posts:
    5,567
    Likes Received:
    3,298
    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2015
    Location:
    MAGA Country
    First Name:
    Rusty
    Truck Year:
    1977,1988
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    Great job, nice pixxx!
     
  5. bucket

    bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

    Age:
    38
    Posts:
    21,267
    Likes Received:
    6,725
    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2010
    Location:
    Usually not in Ohio
    First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    I've found dielectric grease to work even better than ATF. No other kind of grease, just dielectric.
     
  6. diesel_lv

    diesel_lv Member

    Posts:
    32
    Likes Received:
    5
    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2017
    Location:
    AZ
    First Name:
    John
    Truck Year:
    1987
    Truck Model:
    K5
    Engine Size:
    350
    That is what I was using that pinched 4 sets. I guess it worked better for you.
     
  7. bucket

    bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

    Age:
    38
    Posts:
    21,267
    Likes Received:
    6,725
    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2010
    Location:
    Usually not in Ohio
    First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    That's odd. It's what I've always used and never had troubles with it. The very first time I ever put the o-rings in, I used ATF and buggered one up. Dielectric grease worked great on the second try so that's what I used from then on out. Maybe I push the injectors in different or something.
     

Share This Page