TBI needs valve seals and intake gasket - fix what I have or upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tj43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
My 88' TBI definitely needs valve seals and probably needs an intake gasket. Should I just fix what I have or just buy a set of nice mild (aluminum?) heads that have all new valvetrain components? If the latter, what are the best options for replacement heads that would bolt right up to the old TBI without any modifications to other systems?

Thanks in advance.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
If it is not your daily driver, fix what you have. If daily driver you should get complete heads and install on your day off. .02
Eric

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Depending on where you live and how bad the heads you have are... it likely doesn't make sense to rebuild stock heads. I'd call a few machine shops in the area and see what it would cost for cleaning, magnaflux/pressure check, valve job and guides. If it is in the $500-700 range like it is here in Oregon, then it is the same cost or a little more to just get new heads that perform WAY better than the junky TBI heads. Summit has a good set of world products knockoff heads that are comparable to Vortec heads while retaining the TBI intake pattern for under $700 and Skip white has a great set of aluminum AFR Enforcer heads, ready to run, for under $1000/set. Both of those would be a big performance improvement over the stock TBI heads.

tj43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Bextreme04, that is where my head is as well. I suspect my heads are just fine other than the seals. The truck is very low mileage and runs well other than oil burning at startup.

My calculus is: if I have to pull the intake for the gasket, it isnt that much more work to pull the heads for a head replacement—especially if you factor in the time I would have to spend to replace the valve seals on the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54