TBI Fuel Pump and Regulator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarrett Melvin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Looking some guidance on a pairing a fuel pump and regulator for 350 TBI.

Gunna be running saddle tanks so I decided to go with one external electric fuel and two older style non baffled tanks and sender's cause baffled tanks seem few and far between where I'm from.

I found a reasonably priced walbro inline fuel pump. This is where I could use a little help

Ive read multiple forums and understand a TBI needs somehwere between 12-20 psi from what I can gather from reading.

The new pump says it's 87 psi, but then it says typical running pressure is 43.5 and in the Q&A section, summit states it runs a max of 50psi, so a little confusing there.

I imagine I'll have to use a regulator to control pressure to the TBI.

So what should I know before I get one? Is there a max/min pressure requirement? What psi for the pump do I go by?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
standard, modern fuel injection usually runs either 3 bar(43psi) or 4 bar(58psi). TBI has two different possible fuel pressures depending on the year and engine being used, with most using 12 psi. The 94-95 454 TBI used 30 PSI. Generally a pump designed to run at 3 Bar is going to have a really hard time running at 12 PSI. You will likely need a return style adjustable regulator on the firewall to pull the pressure down below at least 30PSI for the regulator on the TBI itself to be able to handle it.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Looking some guidance on a pairing a fuel pump and regulator for 350 TBI.

Gunna be running saddle tanks so I decided to go with one external electric fuel and two older style non baffled tanks and sender's cause baffled tanks seem few and far between where I'm from.

I found a reasonably priced walbro inline fuel pump. This is where I could use a little help

Ive read multiple forums and understand a TBI needs somehwere between 12-20 psi from what I can gather from reading.

The new pump says it's 87 psi, but then it says typical running pressure is 43.5 and in the Q&A section, summit states it runs a max of 50psi, so a little confusing there.

I imagine I'll have to use a regulator to control pressure to the TBI.

So what should I know before I get one? Is there a max/min pressure requirement? What psi for the pump do I go by?

fyi you can get spectre tanks on amazon for about $100 free shipping.

bobbychili

Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
5.7l 350 tbi
I got 89 c1500 tbi. Buddy sold me 145 psi in-line pump from evil energy and is it possible to tap it into existing fuel line and use it without removing my electric tank pump and run it off the same power as my electric tank pump. Or should I cut power to tank pump and just suck through the tank pump. Going to replace fuel pressure regulator guys before I do this. Can non adjustable fuel regulator handle 145 psi

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I got 89 c1500 tbi. Buddy sold me 145 psi in-line pump from evil energy and is it possible to tap it into existing fuel line and use it without removing my electric tank pump and run it off the same power as my electric tank pump. Or should I cut power to tank pump and just suck through the tank pump. Going to replace fuel pressure regulator guys before I do this. Can non adjustable fuel regulator handle 145 psi
im guessing those pumps are in the tank? so they dont have to worry about staying primed right? so it shouldnt be a blockage to flow... but you have you considered selling or trading and then sizing it correctly with the application.. etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84