1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TBC's K10

Discussion in '4wd Pick-Ups K10 K1500 V10 V1500' started by theblindchicken, Feb 3, 2014.

1. HotRodPC

HotRodPC Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73 350 - 700R4 - 4.10
    Do you do Facebook? I hit up the guy I've been friends with for a few years, Anthony Bravo in El Monte. I posted on his page you're looking for 6 lug front hub parts. One of his buddies, Bolando Sanz responded says he has tons of those parts. I figured they did since they convert to Dana 60's. Hit up those guys tell them I sent you.

theblindchicken likes this.
  2. theblindchicken

theblindchicken Full Access Member

First Name:
    Christian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 5" lift + 2" BL
    Engine Size:
    350-4, 0.030" over
    Yeah i've heard of those guys and seen a few of their videos. Never met any of them though.
    Alright, thanks Hotrod. Really appreciate you taking the time to hit them up for me! I'll give them a shout here real soon.

3. theblindchicken

First Name:
    Christian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 5" lift + 2" BL
    Engine Size:
    350-4, 0.030" over
    Since the truck is gonna be down for a while, might as well take my wrenching time and put it into 3D modeling work! Finally gonna design my tube bumper, bed bins, soft top bed rack & modular basket. I'll post up the work as it comes along.

Couple questions:

1. Does anyone know the cab angle from vertical?
    Trying to match the slope of the cab with the bed rack and I don't necessarily trust a digital angle gauge since I know for sure that my truck doesn't sit horizontal.

2. Does anyone have or know where I can find the dimensions of the bolt holes in the frame for the front and rear bumper? Could pull the bumper off, but may not have the correct universal measurements due to prior frame damage. Would rather have a good design that can fit all trucks and adjust during fabrication to fit mine, if necessary.

4. theblindchicken

First Name:
    Christian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 5" lift + 2" BL
    Engine Size:
    350-4, 0.030" over
    Got a used wheel hub from Jeep Thrillz up in Compton, CA. Great set of guys and can literally build absolutely anything you can dream up. Spare parts for days with super reasonable prices. Had my super hard to find wheel hub in my hands within 15 minutes of being there. :party36::party36::party36:

So the search was on to find the best prices for all of the parts I want to run.

Definitely trying to stay with Timken, Spicer, and ACDelco as much as possible since those were all OEM parts.

Looks like I'm gonna need a new spindle since the threads got pretty marred up on the end from having to dremel them down to get the nuts off. Don't necessarily trust it as much if the wheel hub cracked from heat soaking and friction. Gonna have to clean it off some more and thoroughly inspect it.

Spent the evening building up a price comparison spreadsheet between Summitracing, RockAuto, Amazon, Napa Auto Parts, and Kragen Auto Parts. Borrowed the format from a grocery shopping list that someone else came up with.

Part numbers are virtually interchangeable between Timken and National. Kragen doesn't carry Timken, but they do carry National. Napa doesn't carry either, but you can still cross reference the part numbers to come up with their own in house numbers.

[​IMG]

It doesn't have everything to rebuild the front axle, but definitely more than enough to see where it's cheapest to order up all the parts from.

@HotRodPC anyway to attach the excel file for download so anyone can download it to adapt to their own parts list?

Attached Files:

5. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    Great Info there, but NO, Excel files are not supported in the VBulletin forum platform.

Why is your wheel hub so hard to find? Just a Dana 44 hub isn't it? Are they hard to find or is yours some kind of rare?

6. theblindchicken

First Name:
    Christian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 5" lift + 2" BL
    Engine Size:
    350-4, 0.030" over
    Bummer. Guess i'll look for somewhere to host it and then provide a link for everyone to download it.

For the dana 44's, they swapped to a larger bearing size around '77. So only a few years were compatible. Not sure if this actually affected the hub itself or if it was only the rotor that had a different bearing. Either way, just hard to track down one that wasnt super far away or someone wanting to sell an entire axle.

Only place I could find that had wheel hubs brand new was the motorcityk5 shop out in michigan. Wanted $200 for it plus another $70ish for shipping to California.

7. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    Be glad you didn't have the larger bearing then. Cuz 77 is the transition year to 10 bolt fronts so there couldn't have been many of the D44 large bearing hubs around.

8. theblindchicken

First Name:
    Christian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 5" lift + 2" BL
    Engine Size:
    350-4, 0.030" over
    Wonder if the Dana 44's and the GM 10 bolts used the same bearing sizes across the year ranges?

Anyway, just ordered up a good amount of parts to get the Driver's side all back together. New Spindle, Inner & Outer Wheel Bearings, Seal, Wheel Studs, and a rotor.

@crazy4offroad Thanks for finding that 5% off at RockAuto. Every buck saved is always helpful!

Now all that's left for the left side will be a new set of brake pads and to get the hub pressed off, then toss on a new rotor and wheel studs, pack em with grease and stick it all back together! Hopefully have it all back together in a couple weeks! I'ma check the passenger side as soon as I have it all together. I'll clean out all the old grease on that side and re do it all with the new grease that's coming in. Might as well get it all done at the same time, eh?

9. theblindchicken

First Name:
    Christian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 5" lift + 2" BL
    Engine Size:
    350-4, 0.030" over
    Took a quick minute today and knocked out the old wheel studs on the hub I picked up. Hit it with a wire wheel and cleaned it up pretty good. Did a quick check to make sure that the wheel studs I ordered were the same fit and length as the originals.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. theblindchicken

First Name:
    Christian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 5" lift + 2" BL
    Engine Size:
    350-4, 0.030" over
    Yesterday, got all ready to put tear off the old spindle, mount the new one on and get it all thrown together and get her rolling.... Come to find out that I overlooked the axle shaft bearing B2110 is pressed into the rear of the spindle not into the axle tube.

Tried tapping it out, no dice. Couldnt get the bearing/race driver in there... too small. Couldn't find the gear puller (if I even have one)... So, ordered up a pair of those with a new set of axle shaft seals just in case. Should be here in a few days.

In the meantime, spent the evening removing the old bearings and races along with the old grease as well from the hub. Ready to pack the new bearings full of new Timken wheel bearing grease.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. theblindchicken

First Name:
    Christian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 5" lift + 2" BL
    Engine Size:
    350-4, 0.030" over
    Haven't updated for a little while. Got the truck all put back together and running a good bit ago. Been enjoying driving even though filling up once a week, but that's nothing new.

All the bearings and seals needed for the hub rebuild:
    [​IMG]

B-2110 bearing:
    [​IMG]

Brand new spindle!
    [​IMG]

Greased up bearing after pressing it into the spindle
    [​IMG]

Fresh coats of paint on the new hub and rotor:
    [​IMG]

Fresh paint on the brake dust cover
    [​IMG]

All mounted up just purdy.
    [​IMG]

Went and got the wheels rebalanced after weights ripped off previously.
    [​IMG]

12. theblindchicken

First Name:
    Christian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 5" lift + 2" BL
    Engine Size:
    350-4, 0.030" over
    Took her out a couple weeks back on a short trip through Cleghorn.

Got stuck in traffic the whole way from the 210/605 interchange on a Saturday night for no reason other than people cannot maintain a consistent speed until we hit I-15. After that, had some pretty heavy gusty winds all the way up the mountain til Cleghorn. Foot to the floor rolling about 65mph max due to a headwind with at least a 30 mph crosswind blowing my buddy and I half a lane over each gust. Needless to say, made it with half a tank.

Proceeded to top off just up the road before we hit the dirt just to be safe. First time up at cleghorn, so we took it easy to just check it all out and explore what's up there. Few little bit of slides and ruts from the recent rain. Nothing she couldn't handle, but some spots got a little tight for her wide stature.

Crawled up a nice rutted out hill right below one of the powerline towers. Pretty happy with the way she handled it. Originally tried to take the same line as my buddy in his 3rd gen 4runner, but it was too sharp and got bound up. Back it on down real quick to give it another go. We figured that since my wheelbase is so much longer, I shouldn't have any problems with just going straight up through it instead of trying to stay about any of the ruts.

With that new plan of action, she rolled right up it just fine with a bit of the skinny pedal in low loc. Lights were doing just fine until this point. Guess they started to overheat or the low idle wasn't fully charging the aux battery since they started to flicker and die. Wouldn't turn on for a while either.

Went further on down one of the trails (we took a shortened route since it was late and we all voted for some grub), also didnt wanna push our luck on anything either.

Gotta show off a little now and then, right?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shortened route we took:
    [​IMG]

13. theblindchicken

First Name:
    Christian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 5" lift + 2" BL
    Engine Size:
    350-4, 0.030" over
    Last week, I finally gave in and ordered up the CB that I've been wanting for a good while: Cobra 29 LX

Should get it installed here real soon. I just need to finish welding up an antenna mount that's gonna fit next to the driver's side taillight.

Gonna run the Cobra 29 LX to a 3' Firestik II with 18' of RG-8X coax. Seems like that should be long enough to go from the trans tunnel up to the middle of the tailgate.

[​IMG]

Gonna use some splitloom to cover up the coax to help prevent it from and rocks that get kicked up and all.

Just gonna temporarily mount it under the ashtray for the time being while I design up a new center console to work with the CB, 10 toggle switches, set of cup holders while still having enough room for the transfer case shifter and able to slide the bench all the way forward if need be.

Planning on going with a wooden side with a brushed sheet metal top flush with the edges.

Would allow for that ease of customizability while retaining that old school touch of wood.
    Also intending on making it allow pass through for the heater since the current one blocks it pretty well making it take a good deal longer to heat up the cab.

Couple current issues that need to get fixed:

1. Steering has gotten pretty loose with a fair amount of play/deadzone in it. There's virtually no input between about 10-2 o'clock. Thinking it's either play in the steering box, loose balljoints/tie rods, or due to a leak found at the seal in the steering shaft. Any ideas on that?

2. Dome/courtesy light hasn't been working for a good while. Checked fuses, but not 100% sure which one covers the dome light since no issues with anything else. Replaced the drivers door jamb switch since the old one was super rusted, but no change. No change after switching out the headlight switch either. Courtesy light under the dash randomly worked for one day for an hour or so.... 30 min after that, no longer worked. Don't remember the exact voltage, but there's voltage at all times on both pins at the dome light. One was pretty low, the other a bit higher.

3. She's getting quite a bit of vibration. Doesn't start to get too rough until 65ish. Very noticeable in the transfer case shifter with all around movement of about 1/8" off center from eyeballing it. Worn transmission/motor mounts? Worn chain in the np203? Out of balance driveshaft or out of phase yoke/pinions? Changes based upon physical speed, not necessarily engine rpm.

14. theblindchicken

First Name:
    Christian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 5" lift + 2" BL
    Engine Size:
    350-4, 0.030" over
    Got the antenna installed in my original stakehole mount. Ran the coax under the bed, over the drivers rear wheel well, over the drivers aux tank, but ran out of cable at the front cab mount.

Ordered up another 10' of coax, and a pl259 female to female coupler. Should get that soon enough to get the cb installed in there.

On the way home from work tonight, started losing the headlights, radio, and dash lights in bumper to bumper traffic. Had to double pedal to keep the rpms up to keep it charging. Looking like it's time for a new alternator. Certainly had a pretty long life for being the original alternator.

15. Stewzer55

Stewzer55 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Stew
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R30
    Engine Size:
    350 TBI
    Have you put an SWR meter on it?

What stake mount did you use?

My next permanent install is going to be with bulk RG8X cable and solder on PL259 ends to make it look all purty.