Target Master worth performance parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
I bought my GMC to do "car stuff" with while I'm improving my Nova. It has a Target Master 350 in it with a little less than 17k miles on it. It runs fine and has adequate power for cruising. But in the back of my head I'm dreaming of putting an Edelbrock Power Package, Headers, and possibly a Holley Sniper system on it.

My question is whether this engine is worth putting performance parts on or should I just look for another 350 block and start fresh? I'm not into racing or anything like that. I mostly want it to be quicker and be able to do a respectable burnout when the situation calls for one, and we all know there are situations that call for a burnout ;). Plus I have my Nova if I really want to make noise.

Thank you for your insight!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Personally, I'd do the top end swap, along with a cam. You have a good shortblock that needs no work, you are money ahead to keep using it.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Personally, I'd do the top end swap, along with a cam. You have a good shortblock that needs no work, you are money ahead to keep using it.
Thank you for your input. I think I'm going to try it and maybe put in some thinner head gaskets to increase compression a bit. If nothing else it will give me some shop time...

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
IIRC, Target 350 engine is a 4 bolt main and the 305 was a 2 bolt main.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thank you for your input. I think I'm going to try it and maybe put in some thinner head gaskets to increase compression a bit. If nothing else it will give me some shop time...

Your heads should have 76cc combustion chambers and is probably in the neighborhood of 8:1 or 8.5:1 compression. Running performance heads with 64cc chambers will take care of that issue. With aluminum heads, you won't be nearly as concerned with detonation.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Your heads should have 76cc combustion chambers and is probably in the neighborhood of 8:1 or 8.5:1 compression. Running performance heads with 64cc chambers will take care of that issue. With aluminum heads, you won't be nearly as concerned with detonation.
Thank you for the info!

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
One of the magazines has done what you want to already.
They took the inexpensive engine and did the top end swap with camshaft.
It turned the pedestrian engine into a thumper.

It is a great building block to start from.
I had a Target Master in a previous truck and it had plenty of pep in its step as a simple stocker with dual exhaust.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
One of the magazines has done what you want to already.
They took the inexpensive engine and did the top end swap with camshaft.
It turned the pedestrian engine into a thumper.

It is a great building block to start from.
I had a Target Master in a previous truck and it had plenty of pep in its step as a simple stocker with dual exhaust.
My truck is pretty drivable, but wouldn't win any races. I drove it cruise night last week with the A/C on and was going 75 on the highway with no problem.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have the Goodwench 350 (newer version of the Targetmaster). I added Blueprint 64cc aluminum heads, thin head gasket, and a 213/217 @ .050 conversion roller cam. Using an Edelbrock Performer intake and a Quadrajet. This is a very standard setup for a truck and it gives you a nice wide powerband. Mine probably tops out at about 300-325 hp because I have full duals but don’t have headers.

I use about 15-16 degrees base timing, 18-20 mechanical and a 15 degree vacuum advance . No pinging on regular pump gas. Aluminum heads tolerate a lot more base timing.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Not meaning to detract from this topic............... But !
I have a GM 350 crate engine # 12568758 still in the box) that is a TBI replacement for '87ish to '96ish trucks.
It's a center bolt valve cover, no Vortec, no manual fuel pump provision & 1 pc rear main seal.
Is it doable for the above suggestions?
What would y'all do?
Just trying to get a cruiser with decent MPG and dependability.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Not meaning to detract from this topic............... But !
I have a GM 350 crate engine # 12568758 still in the box) that is a TBI replacement for '87ish to '96ish trucks.
It's a center bolt valve cover, no Vortec, no manual fuel pump provision & 1 pc rear main seal.
Is it doable for the above suggestions?
What would y'all do?
Just trying to get a cruiser with decent MPG and dependability.
I would definetly change the wimpy little cam and the swirl port heads for sure.
This is the engine that is in my 1995 Suburban, while it does what it needs to for me.
It is underwhelming for sure.

With those changes, it would be far more fun.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I bought my GMC to do "car stuff" with while I'm improving my Nova. It has a Target Master 350 in it with a little less than 17k miles on it. It runs fine and has adequate power for cruising. But in the back of my head I'm dreaming of putting an Edelbrock Power Package, Headers, and possibly a Holley Sniper system on it.

My question is whether this engine is worth putting performance parts on or should I just look for another 350 block and start fresh? I'm not into racing or anything like that. I mostly want it to be quicker and be able to do a respectable burnout when the situation calls for one, and we all know there are situations that call for a burnout ;). Plus I have my Nova if I really want to make noise.

Thank you for your insight!
I agree with the others...use what you got.
However, I prefer the larger 70-76cc heads as they flow better around the valves. You'll trade off some power now and if you ever build another short block, you can build up around the larger chamber and make more power later.

What year Nova? I have a '63. Stevesnovasite.com is the best forum if you aren't already on there.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Using any type of stock iron heads (except for Vortec) is like putting a cap on your engine horsepower. Regardless of the cam, intake and carburetor you use, the old heads with poor flow and low compression will limit power.

It’s fine to install more cam and better intake/carburetor for a moderate performance improvement, but for any serious upgrade you need better heads.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
However, I prefer the larger 70-76cc heads as they flow better around the valves.
This is only doable if you are going to get into the bottom end enough to put flat top pistons and reduce the deck height. Stock GM 350 from that era with dish pistons can be less than 8:1 compression and a deck height in the area of .038" or more. When I disassembled a bone stock 1970 350, it had dish pistons that measured .038" in the hole and the 76cc truck heads. Actual measured compression ratio for that with a stock head gasket is 7.8:1. I put in flat tops, had .020" shaved off the deck, and ran a chevrolet performance head gasket with a compressed height of .027". That gave me a static compression ratio right around 9:1 and quench area of about .048" running some freshened up 882 heads with 75cc chambers. It isn't a racecar by any means, but it tows well and has plenty of pep around town. Also, a larger chamber won't inherently flow more. Especially once you get into aftermarket heads like he is talking about with an edelbrock top end kit.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And here we go....

Attachments

• RabbitHole.JPG