Talking spark plugs - R45TS vs R46TS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
3 years ago, I did the plugs on this truck and I found a whole set of em in the shed. I went online and it said a r45ts is likely what my SBC takes, but I had r46ts. I dont remember what all I learned, but i didnt want to dump money on plugs and take a trip to the store if what i had will work. Ive been running r46ts since then, and im about to do a tune up and I guess i want to confirm what plug and what gap. Iirc, .045 of an inch was the gap setting i used, but i can check when i replace em.

I know the plugs i removed had a very short gap and were also r46ts, but the thing burned oil like no tomorrow back then. Maybe my grandpa shrunk the gap and used a plug with different properties to try to alleviate the symptoms of his poorly running carb?

Amazon looks like its saying r45ts and .045 gap, the engine actually runs great now and any oil burned is negligible from my last oil change to last weekend, if the oil lost isnt actually just leaking from valve covers and my oil pan. So the oil burning it used to do, i think, was caused by it running ungodly rich that gas would find its way to the crankcase, thin oil, and oil would make its way into the cylinder, because after replacing the carb i never had to add oil, it was only a tiny bit lower on dipstick than the full mark. thats after 10 hours of a lot of idling, hauling butt in cold weather, and plowin snow.

I just figure since its running good its time for a tune up and a spruce up, poor gal is using plug wires from 4 different vehicles. Hand me downs. I know the cap is due, when i did the distributor removal when doing my intake the pins had a good amount of corrosion and the rotor looked a little worn.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Why do a tune up if it’s running good?
How many miles you put on the plow truck?
Can see cap n rotor if it’s arced.
46 is one heat range hotter than 45.
S is extended tip.
44-45 is the norm for low perf engines. 46 wont hurt unless you’re really railing it imo.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
035-045 should be fine for an 80.

A 46 is just a hotter version of a 45, which may help in burning off contaminants and keep them cleaner.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
44s or 45s if the aren't fouling.One less hot spot for preignition.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Because my wires probably have a lot of resistance, are deteriorating, my cap and rotor are worn, and the plugs I don't feel appropriate, would rather stick the cooler plugs in it sounds

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave